The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ammonia for Cycling

This is a discussion on Ammonia for Cycling within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi! So I have a 20L tank that I need to cycle, and I was planning on doing a fishless ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Ammonia for Cycling

Hi! So I have a 20L tank that I need to cycle, and I was planning on doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. I was wondering how much I should add and how many ppm it should be for 2 axies. I've heard so many conflicting accounts and most of them were for fish, so I wanted to be sur ethat however much I added would be enough for an axolotl since they have a much larger bioload than fish. If you could reccomend a brand of ammonia to use that would be great as well.Thank so much!!

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Ammonia for Cycling

When you said 20L, you meant 20 gal long, right? (When I first read it, I read it as 20 liter, and was going to recommend a larger tank immediately. ;-) ) a 20 long might be a bit cramped when they are full-sized.

I don't know ammonia brands, but you want "plain" ammonia. If you can't find it at the grocery store, try a hardware store.

For axolotls, 4 ppm is a good level to keep it at - if it can handle 4 ppm in 24 hrs, it can handle your axolotls with ease. That takes a very tiny amount of plain ammonia, like, a couple of drops at most. To make it easier to measure, you can dillute the ammonia, like, 1 tsp per cup of water, and then figure out how much of the diluted mixture it takes to raise the tank by 1 ppm. Then you can easily add the right amount more when the ammonia starts to drop.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, 20l, ammonia, axolotl, bioload, cycling, tank

LinkBack