The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Water conditioner while cycling tank?

This is a discussion on Water conditioner while cycling tank? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'm about to start cycling my tank, and I read that the water conditioner I use (Prime) makes ammonia, nitrite, ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skudo09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Water conditioner while cycling tank?

I'm about to start cycling my tank, and I read that the water conditioner I use (Prime) makes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate nontoxic for 48 hours. Will this mess up my cycle? Is it better to just use tap water without conditioner so I don't remove ammonia from my tank while trying to cycle it? I read that chlorine/chloramine will kill good bacteria and ammonia, I'm really confused here

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Water conditioner while cycling tank?

You are right, chlorine and chloramine will kill the good bacteria that makes the cycle. So you should use a water conditioner to any water before adding it to the aquarium. Prime is fine to use though. Apparently it doesn't affect the cycle. I think from memory it converts chlorine etc into non toxic forms that are still consumed by the bacteria.

Tags
ammonia, chloramine, chlorine, cycling, nitrate, nitrite, tap water, water conditioner

LinkBack