The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Weird white coating inside of my tank

This is a discussion on Weird white coating inside of my tank within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, this is my first post on this website. I purchased two young axolotls from a reptile show in my ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: CaptainK1088 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Weird white coating inside of my tank

Hello, this is my first post on this website. I purchased two young axolotls from a reptile show in my area about two weeks ago. Since then I have done a water cycle twice. I added water conditioner each time, and maybe threw in about 5 ml more than required each time. My axolotls seem happy and healthy and are pretty active especially around feeding time. I give them a hunk of frozen blood worms and cut up a large night crawler into fourths daily. I am slightly concerned with the constant cloudiness of my water, even after water changes and cleaning up waste. But, my main concern is an odd, white, slimy, coating lining the inside walls of their tank. When I rub it off with my finger, chunks fall to the bottom. It does not seem to exist on their decor and hiding spots. I have a small filtration system and filter within. I tried doing some research on the matter before posting, and from what I've gathered it could be white algae, white fungus, or possibly residue from the water ager. Does anybody know exactly what this stuff is or had any expirience with this situation or how to take care of it? Thanks in advance.

CaptainK1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LoriML has started on the right path
Default Re: Weird white coating inside of my tank

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pets.

We need a lot more info to try to help you though. What size is you tank? And how old are your axolotls?

While you mentioned having done 2 cycles, I think perhaps you mean 2 water changes? A complete cycle takes many weeks, and is a big process. There is great info on the stickies up top on how to cycle a tank. You also need to test your water and provide us with those results, i.e. ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temp.

Without any answers to those questions, my first thought would be to remove them from the tank, put them in a plastic container with fresh dechlorinated water, and do daily water changes, while doing a proper tank cycle. It's likely that the film is because your tank isn't cycled and ammonia and other bacteria are out of control right now and need to be cleaned out and properly cycled for the health of the axolotls.

LoriML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

What brand of dechlorinator/conditioner are you using? It sounds like either aloe residue or biofilm.

Old 13th July 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've been using Marineland aquarium conditioner .

Old 14th July 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think it's biofilm. I looked it up and watched a YouTube video on it. I think part of the problem is my water level and the way my filtration system only very gently moves the water. From what i've researched, axolotls do not particular like a lot of waves, bubbles, excessive water movement, because it can harm their gills. I'm going to clean it out today, do a water change, and add dechlorinator. I'll add a little less water to get a little more water movement as well and see how that goes. I posted a picture of my tank from yesterday just to give a visual. If you look at the tank you can see the white filmy slime on the inside gathering. My tank is a work in progress. I didn't intend on losing my job right after I got my axys, but once I get on my feet I'm going to add better decor and a sand substrate . It's a 35 gallon tank .
Attached Thumbnails
Weird white coating inside of my tank-img_4046.jpg   Weird white coating inside of my tank-img_4044.jpg  

Last edited by CaptainK1088; 14th July 2016 at 13:25. Reason: added details

Tags
cloudiness, fungus, sick axolotl, tank issues, water ager, white algae

LinkBack