The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Descaling and Cleaning Filter

This is a discussion on Descaling and Cleaning Filter within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey all. My apartment has very hard water and lately I've really been noticing mineral buildup on the top of ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Descaling and Cleaning Filter

Hey all. My apartment has very hard water and lately I've really been noticing mineral buildup on the top of my aquarium, filter and spray guard. There also seems to be decreased output from the filter, and I suspect this is from mineralization inside.

I'd like to try to clean some of it up, partially for aesthetics, but also because I don't want to risk my filter becoming damaged.

What's the best way to clean mineral deposits from filter medium? I know I'm not supposed to replace the filter, but it's been running for ~10 months and I've only cleaned it once (cycle had crashed).

Any suggestions for cleaning the filter without crashing my cycle?

Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Luca1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Descaling and Cleaning Filter

Hi Leah, I have this issue on my African cichlid tank. They love hard water and I add cichlid salts whenever I do a water change. I also have a big buildup of minerals on filter inlets/outlets, along the water line etc. You could use something like a pipecleaner to get into smaller, hard to reach areas etc. I found they come off if you just scrub hard. In terms of crashing your cycle, maybe just do one area at a time whenever you do a water change? You could also add some seachem stability to help compensate for any lost good bacteria, its a really awesome product that I add to all of my tanks, the axies included. I hope this helps.

Luca1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Descaling and Cleaning Filter

Thanks Luca! I'll try that

Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality: