The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tank cycling question

This is a discussion on Tank cycling question within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I've been cycling my 54L, 60cm x 30cm tank for 3-4 weeks now. Initially I added some frozen shrimp ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: luckywood is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Tank cycling question

So I've been cycling my 54L, 60cm x 30cm tank for 3-4 weeks now. Initially I added some frozen shrimp as an ammonia source to kick the whole thing off. Unfortunately, I did this before the test kit I ordered had arrived, and then a postage snarl-up meant I didn't receive the test kit for about two weeks after I first added the ammonia.

I've tested twice in the last week and got identical results both times:

Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0.5ppm
Nitrate: 100+

Since I didn't have the test kit initially, I don't know whether I missed an ammonia spike at the beginning of the cycle. The high nitrates suggest to me that there must be some bacteria working, but equally, they haven't brought the ammonia down to 0. So I'm a little confused as to what to do.

My current plan is to add another frozen shrimp and try to get the ammonia up to 4ppm, then see if that goes down. Should I also do a water change to get rid of the nitrates? Should I worry about the high Ph and if so, how do I go about lowering it?

Any help appreciated.

luckywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RusieckiR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tank cycling question

Add food like goldfish food but shrimp might work but dont put put too much

RusieckiR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling