The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Fake grass and black sand?

This is a discussion on Fake grass and black sand? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone! I hope you're having a good day! Anyway I have a question to throw out there. I'm sure ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Fadoodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fake grass and black sand?

Hello everyone!

I hope you're having a good day! Anyway I have a question to throw out there. I'm sure you are all familiar with the fake plastic grass you can stick at the bottom of tanks so, would that be safe to use in an axolotl tank along with black sand? Thanks!
Fadoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RusieckiR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fake grass and black sand?

If its under 6 inches dont put it on sand but plastic plants are okay but if the axolotl gets hurt from it take it out of the tank.
RusieckiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Fake grass must be suitable for aquarium use - not the astroturf stuff that people seem so fond of.
Black sand must also be suitable - many black sands are not e.g. iron sand or blasting sand.
I personally prefer bare bottom or sand embedded in silicone - much easier to keep clean.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Fadoodles is an unknown quantity at this point

This was the grass I was looking at. Do you think this would be suitable?

https://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Wa...F2X5W40E1S1HZ3
Fadoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Amyglistens is an unknown quantity at this point

I use large unglazed slate tiles on the bottom of my juvenile tank. They're very easy to clean, give a little more grip and the axolotls seem to really like them
Amyglistens is offline   Reply With Quote