The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Crayola play sand!!!!!TIP!!!

This is a discussion on Crayola play sand!!!!!TIP!!! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Just wanted to share a little secret in cheap substrate...its Crayola play sand! It comes in many nice colours,and its ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Hellcat73
  • 1 Post By auntiejude
  • 1 Post By Hellcat73
  • 1 Post By auntiejude
  • 1 Post By emdalliance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hellcat73 has shown reliable knowledge
Exclamation Crayola play sand!!!!!TIP!!!

Just wanted to share a little secret in cheap substrate...its Crayola play sand! It comes in many nice colours,and its designed for kids so if they ingest it,its harmless! 15$ a bag..fills a 20 gal....easy! Me and my breeder friend swear by it..the colors dont bleed and no harm to Axies..they just spit it out as they eat! LOVE IT...in Canada its readily available at Canadian Tire....hope that helps!!!

Hellcat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RusieckiR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crayola play sand!!!!!TIP!!!

Good to know. I looked up pictures and it looks really fine but i would get white sand if they had it

RusieckiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Thumbs up Re: Crayola play sand!!!!!TIP!!!

I prefer the purple,it shows off the dark and Leucistics nicely....its very fine..its for kids sand boxes....its totally safe...as mine pick food right off the sand..never had a issue!

Old 11th April 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Click the image to open in full size. Heres the nice purple with my girl

Old 11th April 2017   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Crayola play sand is not safe for axies. It is basically sand with an acrylic coating, which is fine in water, but when axies ingest it they acrylic coating comes off and can affect the axie.

Old 11th April 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Karayna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Crayola play sand is not safe for axies. It is basically sand with an acrylic coating, which is fine in water, but when axies ingest it they acrylic coating comes off and can affect the axie.

But wouldn't the same happen with human toddlers?

Karayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017   #7 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karayna View Post
But wouldn't the same happen with human toddlers?
Yes it does. But a 30lb toddler can handle a small amount of acrylic paint, an axie weighs a few ounces so just a few grains of sand could be a toxic dose.

Old 12th April 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Karayna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Yes it does. But a 30lb toddler can handle a small amount of acrylic paint, an axie weighs a few ounces so just a few grains of sand could be a toxic dose.
Yeah... I just thought of some toddlers who eat a lot of sand. But you're absolutely right!

Karayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Funny my breeder been using it for years with absolutly no ill affects! And theres no coating coming off the sand...and no colour bleed...never had a issue..well imho i'll keep using it...becides nothing is safe for anyone or anything nowadays!lol

Old 17th April 2017   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

FAQs heres the link...it says its safe for aq.and terrariums.. but to each his own....I guess....

Old 18th April 2017   #11 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I think it's probably OK - I would consider using it myself.

Old 18th April 2017   #12 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Yes, - it's water stable and safe for 'aquarium use', but the digestive system of an axie is not the same as an aquarium!
It's up to each owner to make their own decision on the risk though.

Old 18th April 2017   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Aunti: yes I agree...but theres risks with owning any animal...its up to the owner to decide ...nothing is 100% safe....I just know from watching my Axo's that they spit out sand..and if they injest..so far its not harming them...it is considered NON Toxic..and the bag has a stamp on the back stating with a number that it is NON Toxic,mind you im shre no animal testing was considered...but in the wild im sure they eat a heck of allot grosser and toxic **** living in the water...anyhoo...I just wanted to post a option for cheaper more afordable substrate.

Old 22nd April 2017   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emdalliance is an unknown quantity at this point

Wild axolotls are a completely different kettle of fish to the axolotls we own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emdalliance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
substrate

LinkBack