The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Chiller Advice

This is a discussion on Chiller Advice within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello! I bought two juvenile axolotls last Saturday and I'm absolutely in love. However, living in Atlanta, the weather can ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sweet Pea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: katbeck99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chiller Advice

Hello! I bought two juvenile axolotls last Saturday and I'm absolutely in love. However, living in Atlanta, the weather can get pretty hot over the summer. The weather is warming up, and I have fan set up blowing across the top of my 20 gallon long to help speed up evaporation. However, this doesn't do much temperature wise. Currently my tank has been anywhere from the high 60s to the low 70s (degrees fahrenheit), and I know I want to invest in a chiller.
Chillers aren't cheap... so that's why I'm coming to this forum for advice! I want to make sure I buy a chiller that does the job well. Does anyone have recommendations for chillers? Brand? Size? And set up?
Thank you so much!

katbeck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Chiller Advice

UPDATE: A friend said he'd be willing to give me his Current 1/4 HP chiller. Would this be overkill for a 20 gallon long? Could I hurt my axolotls by using this?

Old 26th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sweet Pea has shown reliable knowledge
Red face Re: Chiller Advice

So, I am new and personally trying to get my own answers. However​ I see you haven't gotten a response yet so here is my 2 I live in GA too and just bought a chiller to set my tank up. It is waaaay too hot here!

Personally from my experience with research, I think you should be fine as long as your chiller has a thermometer and keeps track of the tank temp and turns off when needed. As far as I know the recommend getting a size up from what you really need so you don't strain your chiller. If it saves you $ I'd say do it! I had to pay $400 for mine and that was outrageous!

Love to hear how it works out!

Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Chiller Advice

I actually ended up buying a 1/13 HP chiller for my 20 long! It cost $400 as well YIKES! At least my tank will stay cool!

Tags
axolotl, chiller, tank advice, temperature

LinkBack