The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New 20 Long Setup - Filter Suggestions?

This is a discussion on New 20 Long Setup - Filter Suggestions? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello! We've had a our first Axolotl set up in a 10 gallon tank for nearly 2 months. Since then, ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Luke Vader is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New 20 Long Setup - Filter Suggestions?

Hello!

We've had a our first Axolotl set up in a 10 gallon tank for nearly 2 months. Since then, we've bought another axie that is a bit smaller so we're keeping him in a separate, temporary tank and doing 100% water changes for him. We recently jumped on the sale that PetCo are doing with their $1 per gallon tank sale and now have a 20 Long tank that is waiting for us to set it up. I just don't know what type of filter I want to use for it.

I see in a lot of pictures, posts, and videos that people are using sponge filters and they come highly recommended because of their ease of use, low cost, and low water flow. This is the way I am leaning right now but I simply do not know what all I need to buy for this setup.

Can anyone walk me through everything I need for a sponge filter setup? We're still quite new to all of this and have next to zero experience with even a regular fish tank, so explain it like I'm 5 please.

And if you have any suggestions other than a sponge filter, feel free to fire away.

As a side note, we're currently using a Fluval 30 for the 10 gallon setup. It's a decent filter, I just don't like the water flow for it. I basically have it set to the absolute lowest setting possible and the weak water flow is a bit on the noisy side. Before this filter, we had a submersible filter (can't remember the name right away) and I dint like it at all because the water flow seemed to be way too much no matter how low I had it set and it seemed to raise the temperature too easily.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Luke Vader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20l, filter, new setup, sponge, sponge filter

LinkBack