The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Using a rain barrell for water supply?

This is a discussion on Using a rain barrell for water supply? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I've had my axolotl for about two years and this summer is the first time that I'm having issues keeping ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: holdonbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Using a rain barrell for water supply?

I've had my axolotl for about two years and this summer is the first time that I'm having issues keeping his tank full. I currently use spring water because the tap water in my area is trash; even with the dechlorinator the ammonia levels are still around .25-.50 ppm. At this point I'm buying gallon jugs of spring water almost weekly. A lot of this is because this is the first summer I've introduced an overhead desk fan to his tank to help keep the water cool; when I initially got him I was a newb and thought that 72-74 F/21-22 C was an ok temp to keep him at. I've since learned that it's very important to keep them at 68-69 F/19 C. ANYWAY, the rapid evaporation is the reason I'm looking into cheaper and more practical water supply alternatives.

I was thinking that possibly using a rain barrel, the kind that collects run off from house gutters, would be a potential solution. Obviously I would test the water prior to adding it to the aquarium, however, I'm not sure if that would be sufficient in determining water quality.

Basically I'm asking whether this option is worth exploring.
holdonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Using a rain barrell for water supply?

I might try that myself.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: actress8252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Using a rain barrell for water supply?

I think that is a great idea, but i would filter the water, (and of course test it) before using it for your axolotl. Speaking of which, may I see picture of it?
actress8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Using a rain barrell for water supply?

You will need to add minerals to the rain water, otherwise you could kill the axolotl. I use rain water for misting my dart frog and mantella setups and for raising tadpoles.

Tags
axolotl, rain barrell, tank set up, water parameters, water quality