The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New to the Axolotl world

This is a discussion on New to the Axolotl world within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone! So, I have been doing endless research on how to to keep a happy Axolotl as a pet ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Axolina24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the Axolotl world

Hello everyone!
So, I have been doing endless research on how to to keep a happy Axolotl as a pet and I have run into a bit of a problem concerning the temperature.

My house in the summer gets 83 Degrees Fahrenheit (about 28 Degrees Celsius) at the most and I feel like there would be no way that I could keep a 55 gallon long tank cool just with fans. I have plans to rig up my own DIY mini fridge chiller but I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not it will suffice for that much water and if I should just break down and save up for a chiller.

My other concerns are just, getting everything I need and where to start with cycling. I know setting up a tank for an Axolotl is pretty simple, I would just like to hear about some recommended products and practices from experienced owners( cycling the tank with fish/fishless, filters, water and temperature management, ect,.) Anything you can think of I would really appreciate to hear.

Thanks in advance!

Axolina24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl advice, newbie questions, tank chiller, tank set up & cycling, temperature

LinkBack