The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Which is worse??

This is a discussion on Which is worse?? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My tank sits consistently around 72-73 degrees, which I know this is too high, so I purchased a tower fan ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Which is worse??

My tank sits consistently around 72-73 degrees, which I know this is too high, so I purchased a tower fan and attached it to the wooden hood on my tank. The problem is that the fan is creating a LOT of surface agitation. The plus is my temp dropped almost 10 degrees in less than 24 hours. I'm at a loss as to which is worse for my axies: high temp with low agitation, or low temp with high agitation.
I also added a bubble wall for oxygenation, and I'm wondering if I should remove it since it causes water movement. I have a submersible filter with a built-in spray bar, but it attaches to the glass with a bracket and I can't turn it to flow against the glass. I did put it behind the driftwood, which disperses the water flow from a couple of the outputs on the spray bar.
I have also noticed that my axies don't seem to be themselves since I added the fan. They are very lethargic and don't swim around like they always have. They used to follow me when they saw me and were hungry, but now I have to find them in the tank to get them to eat, which is a pain because they invariably are in an awkward spot.
I would appreciate any advice on changing any of these things, but a chiller is out of the question! I'm a full-time student and a live-in caregiver for an elderly relative and I simply cannot afford to spend that kind of cash any time soon.
Thanks!!

Old 22nd August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Which is worse??

Can you show us a photo of how the fan is set up please and the tank please :}

Reducing the water temperature is important. Hopefully once we see the photo's we'll be able to offer more advice.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: Which is worse??

The fan is attached to the wood top with plastic zip ties. It's the black thing you can see on the top of the photos.
I think the water movement is visible in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Which is worse??-20170828_213043.jpg   Which is worse??-20170828_213030.jpg   Which is worse??-20170828_213026.jpg   Which is worse??-20170828_213019.jpg  

LinkBack