The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl Planted Tank Setup?

This is a discussion on Axolotl Planted Tank Setup? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi! I've been lurking on this forum ever since I got my axies, but finally decided to post! I am ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LippyNix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: anthonyle17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Axolotl Planted Tank Setup?

Hi! I've been lurking on this forum ever since I got my axies, but finally decided to post! I am thinking about setting up a Planted tank for my axolotls, and was wondering what everyone's opinions on Planted tanks are. Of course, my Axie's wellbeing would come before the plants, but I want to know if it's actually feasible to have a Planted tank before I try one. I've never worked with plants before, so I'm a bit of a dummy. But from some brief research, it looks like Java Fern and Moss are the easiest to care for under Axolotl tank conditions. So my question is, what kind of lighting setup works well for the plants and is okay for the axolotl? And how long do you generally have to leave the light on per day?

anthonyle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl Planted Tank Setup?

I have moneywort, java moss, java fern, marimo moss balls, and potted anubias in my tank. I use a standard fluorescent tube in the regular fixture, and it's on 8-ish hours per day. My axies don't react when I turn it on, even when they are at the top of the tank, so it must not bother them. Any plants not really secured will be uprooted by axies. Mine seem to enjoy sitting on the tops of the moneywort (how it gets uprooted, I'm sure) and lounging on the clump of java moss. They also move the moss balls around, although I've never seen them doing it (that, or the moss balls secretly walk around at night! ). I have flourish excel for the plants, but I read on here that it's not good for axies, so I don't use it. My plants are doing fine under these conditions, and the axies seem to like them.
Java moss and java fern grow like weeds with minimum care, so don't bother buying a lot of them unless you're too impatient to wait for them to grow. My java fern has begun to produce baby plants on the tips of leaves already, and has only been in my tank about 2 months. Also, all my plants were in the low light plant package from Aquatic Arts on Amazon, the price was amazing considering what I got, and I had zero snails show up (I rinsed the plants, of course).

LinkBack