The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New axie tank set up

This is a discussion on New axie tank set up within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey everyone, new here and will be a new axie parent in a few days just want advice on this ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KipKip is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New axie tank set up

Hey everyone, new here and will be a new axie parent in a few days just want advice on this set up :) is the filter OK directly behind the plants? Is the wood likely to hurt him/her (have tried to remove any sharp bits or splinters)? will he/she have a enough room? Thanks in advance *I don't know why the pictures are upside down but don't know how to turn them round*
Attached Thumbnails
New axie tank set up-dsc_0175.jpg   New axie tank set up-dsc_0173.jpg   New axie tank set up-dsc_0172.jpg  

KipKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: New axie tank set up

We need dimensions or capacity to tell you if it's big enough. Generally, 10 gallons is the minimum size for one adult. The one thing I can say is that the rocks are a concern; I don't think some of them are large enough to avoid being swallowed. Everything needs to be much larger than your axie's head to be safe. I have nothing (excluding the plants) in my tank that isn't more than twice the size of their heads, and most is much larger.

Old 31st August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hey thanks for replying :) it's 60cm x 30cm x 30cm so it's over 10 gallons. I know the tank is big enough just didn't want to take up to much space with hides etc. I've done alot of reading etc but nothing compares to actual one to one advice. The rocks are glued together with aquarium sealant so none are individual rocks do you think this would be ok? The rocks are glued to make a hide I didn't know if this was obvious from the photos.

KipKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information

i couldn't tell the rocks were glued together from the photos; I thought they were just stacked on top of each other. If they are secured well, I think you're fine. The tank is big enough and your axie should have plenty of space. If you are concerned with floor space, I would remove the dark hide on the side opposite the rock hide, but I don't think you need to do so. The other thing I would recommend is that you double check the leaves on the plastic plants to make sure they are securely fastened. I've had plastic plants in the past that leaves fell off of eventually. Those an axie definitely can eat, and they'd likely end up with a blockage if they didn't spit the leaves out. Make sure your filtration is up to par and your water parameters stay good, and you'll be fine. :)

Old 1st September 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks very much for your advice ��I have yet to actually cycle the tank the man in the shop sold my partner some conditioner he said would begin the cycle process and we didn't have to do anything else, I have since learned that the stuff he sold us does no such thing ��so now to start cycling and hopefully get my axie in a few weeks ��

Tags
axie, axolotl, setup, tank

LinkBack