The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dusty tank?

This is a discussion on Dusty tank? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi guys, I have 2 juvy axolotls in a 20 long tank. Recently ive been getting a lot of dust ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stefan429 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dusty tank?

Hi guys, I have 2 juvy axolotls in a 20 long tank. Recently ive been getting a lot of dust particles in the tank. This morning they were sprinkled everywhere. Im not sure what im doing wrong. I just changed the water maybe ~20%. The whole setup is 2 weeks old, thats when i got them. I have a fluval filter, a fan running above an open top aquarium, sometimes i cover it with a carboard piece to try and avoid the dust contamination but it doesnt seem to work. They also seem to be stress because i see their tails slightly curled a lot. But the ears/hair is never really curved forward, though.

In the pics you see my setup, took out decorations to clean. The other pic is the little black particles i took out already.
Attached Thumbnails
Dusty tank?-1504356025990264979998.jpg   Dusty tank?-20170902_083203.jpg  

stefan429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: Dusty tank?

If you are using carbon filters and don't rinse them well enough or they have a tiny rip in them, they will release black particles into the tank. If you are feeding worms and don't clean them well enough or they shoot out a little bit of dirt as they are eaten, that can produce black particles. If those 2 things aren't the cause, I have no idea what it could be. Dust won't usually be black. Also, that filter needs something to break up the water flow back into the tank if you don't already have something. That can stress them out. Are you testing your water? If the tank is 2 weeks old, it's cycling and parameters will spike quickly to dangerous levels, so you have to keep on top of it. I'm just typing anything that comes into my head, so I'm sorry if it seems random or harsh.

LinkBack