The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is Epoxy Safe?

This is a discussion on Is Epoxy Safe? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everybody! I'm in the process of setting up a bigger tank for my lotls and would appreciate some advice! ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kla38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Epoxy Safe?

Hi everybody!
I'm in the process of setting up a bigger tank for my lotls and would appreciate some advice! I'm switching up my substrate as I'm tired of dealing with sucking up sand with water changes. I was browsing around when I came across a faux sand bottom idea that I like a lot! Long story short, you basically mix epoxy and sand together and spread it along the bottom of the aquarium. Now, I have no experience with epoxy or silicone or anything like that. So my questions are:

1. I know there's a non-toxic epoxy, but is this safe for my lotls? Have any of you used it in your axolotl aquarium?
2. If epoxy is a no go, do you think aquarium silicone would work for something like this? Or is it too thick or opaque? Again, I've never used this stuff.

Thanks for all your advice in advance! I'll keep researching these things in the meantime!

Here is the post by the way!
Faux Sandbeds, Going Bare Bottom With a More Natural Look | AquaNerd

kla38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Is Epoxy Safe?

I used aquarium silicone to attach pebbles to a glass bottom and that worked fine, and since it was for aquariums I was completely sure it was safe.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, epoxy, glue, set-up, substrate

LinkBack