The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough?

This is a discussion on First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello! Today I brought home Simba, my (about 7 months old) axolotl! I read online that you could use play ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: nataliawolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough?

Hello! Today I brought home Simba, my (about 7 months old) axolotl! I read online that you could use play sand and strain it so that its fine, this is what I did and when I put my axolotl in I looked at him/her compared to the size of the sand granules and began to question if itís fine enough. So what does everyone think? If itís dangerous I will immediatly take it out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough?-5c276170-8b88-4f39-99ac-661490be8cf4.jpg   First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough?-7209e1a7-e3cb-4dd4-8d18-a095cdd4bf5d.jpeg  

nataliawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: milly124x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough?

It looks ok to me - similar to my set up. What are you feeding him/her? If it's anything that sinks to the bottom (ie. bloodworm, pellets), you could buy a shallow dish to put the food on. This makes it easier for you to clean up and has the added benefit of minimizing the amount of sand swallowed.

milly124x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: nataliawolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First axolotl! Is the sand fine enough?

I feed them (I got a second) frozen bloodworms (and give them frozen in the blocks) as well as earthworms. I hand feed them from above so that they don't eat any sand. :)

nataliawolf is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack