The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sponge Filter Users

This is a discussion on Sponge Filter Users within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello All, I'm new to the forum and was wondering how many of you use a powerhead pump or an ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ElCad70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponge Filter Users

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and was wondering how many of you use a powerhead pump or an air pump with your sponge filters? Specifically for 20 gallon long aquarium. What are the benefits and negatives? Been searching for answers but I haven't really found the ones I am looking for. Thanks y'all

ElCad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Sponge Filter Users

I use an air powered sponge filter in a 20 long. I reduce the air flow somewhat, to reduce the amount of agitation. That has sacrificed some of it's filtering ability, but it does an adequate job.
Most newts prefer very little current, so I think a power head would be too much.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

How did you reduce the air flow? The powerhead was way to powerful and the air pump seems to be doing a great job so far but I'm always looking to improve and make the axolotl happy.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Arleina is an unknown quantity at this point

Get an air flow control valve. It'll have a knob for you to control how much air is getting to the sponge filter.

Arleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, switched from the power head to the Aqueon quietflow 40 air pump for my 20g long tank. Seems that has made the axolotl happy. Had to squeeze out the sponge the other day which I did in tank water from a change. I just gave it a few squeezes and was surprised at how much gunk was all over it. Any other tips?

LinkBack