The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Do I have everything?

This is a discussion on Do I have everything? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey guys, I just wanted to check with you all if I understand everything I need to provide a high ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hayden27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I have everything?

Hey guys, I just wanted to check with you all if I understand everything I need to provide a high quality home for a single axolotl! It's my first time caring for anything in an aquarium, so I want to be very careful to get it right.

So the tank I'm looking at buying is 4ftx2ftx2ft and comes with a chiller unit (I live in Brisbane, Australia, where it's the middle of Spring and yet reached 40 degrees celsius just yesterday).

I know that I need to cycle the tank for a few weeks beforehand to get the ideal chemical levels.

I understand that sand is the ideal substrate and that they require places to hide.

Finally, I am looking at using sponge filters, with the Tetra Whisper Model 300.

Is this all I need? Also, is there a way to know if I've got the sponge filter's air pump pumping too weakly? (As I know I need to minimise water disturbances)

Thank you!

Hayden27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Do I have everything?

Got worms?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hayden27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I have everything?

Not yet, though I've read that worms and daphnia seem to be more popular than pellets, so I'll definitely grab those!

Hayden27 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack