The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cloudy Water- All water levels okay. What's causing it?

This is a discussion on Cloudy Water- All water levels okay. What's causing it? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; About 2 weeks ago, my tank started getting really cloudy. I noticed a plant I had in it was decaying ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tmorillo14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Cloudy Water- All water levels okay. What's causing it?

About 2 weeks ago, my tank started getting really cloudy. I noticed a plant I had in it was decaying a bit, so removed the plant and replaced the water polishing pads in my filter and after ~2 days the water was crystal clear again.

However, now the cloudy water is back. It is so cloudy that I can barely see my axie. I've tested the PH, Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and all levels are fine. I just cleaned the filter last week, and do pretty regular water changes using bottled water (dechlorinated). There's no substrate (slate bottom), and minuscule specks of waste. It's a 20 gallon tank with one axie, with plastic plants and a few plastic hides. I'm using Matrix as my biomedia. Temp is consistently below 70 F.

So... why the cloudiness? Is it anything I should be concerned about, or any suggestions to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Tmorillo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sufia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cloudy Water- All water levels okay. What's causing it?

Discarding a filter pad probably isn't the best thing to do as you more than likely lost a sizeable amount of the bacteria colony.

Have you tested the water parameters? That will always be your first port of call.

Sufia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tmorillo14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Cloudy Water- All water levels okay. What's causing it?

I have tested all parameters. PH, Nitrite, Ammonia, and Nitrate all look great.

Although I replaced the one filter pad, I left the other 3 sponges and biomedia in place.

I've moved my axie out of the tank, but am considering putting him back in because it seems like despite the clouds there's no immediate danger in the tank?

If it's a bacteria bloom, should I just wait it out? Do you think plants might help?

Thanks!

Tmorillo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sufia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cloudy Water- All water levels okay. What's causing it?

Does seem a bit odd that the water is cloudy if you're saying that the water parameters are fine. A couple of seemingly obvious questions:

1) Did the tank go through the full nitrogen cycle? Even if it did, there have been instances of a second cycle (whatever the actual terminology is) and you could be on the money with a possible bacteria bloom.

2) Is the tank near a window or exposed sunlight/artificial light?

I don't have much experience with plants as I find them cumbersome. If I were in your shoes though, I wouldn't introduce anything new to the tank until you've isolated the issue of the cloudy tank water. Adding plants would only serve as another variable that you'd have factor into your current problem.

Sufia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloudy water

LinkBack