The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Am I being impatient? (Another cycling thread)

This is a discussion on Am I being impatient? (Another cycling thread) within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi All, Currently undertaking a fish-less cycle on a ~15gallon tank. I am utilising the API master test kit and ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: enfifteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I being impatient? (Another cycling thread)

Hi All,

Currently undertaking a fish-less cycle on a ~15gallon tank. I am utilising the API master test kit and Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride as an ammonia source.

I am currently at Day 22 of maintaining a 2-4ppm ammonia loading on the tank and have yet to see any Nitrites or Nitrates appear.

Temperatures have floated around the 24-27c mark, I have an airstone for aeration and what I believe to be a sufficient filter.

Am I missing something here? I thought I may have had insufficient media to support the biofilter, but not seeing any nitrites yet has me vexed.

I would appreciate any responses, Thanks!

enfifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: enfifteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I being impatient? (Another cycling thread)

To further update this;
I proceeded to visit one of my local aquariums and have my water tested by a second person, the results mimicked my results.

My results are:
26C
15G tank
PH: 7.6
Amm: 4ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

The staff member that performed the test for me stated that using pure ammonia will not work and I need to purchase a startup bacteria bottle. All of my reading dictates that I don't want to do this and that my cycle should start occurring just with Ammonia.
(The same staff member also told me that the Axolotl will be hardy enough to go straight into the tank after seeing my results...this is where I knew I wasn't receiving correct advice)

To keep you all updated on the ride, I have 50% water changed the tank down to 2ppm ammonia and will sit on this for a few days, I have heard that overdosing ammonia will inhibit the growth of beneficial bacteria, so maybe this was my issue?

enfifteen is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack