The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl eggs coming! YAY, ADVICE APPRECIATED!

This is a discussion on Axolotl eggs coming! YAY, ADVICE APPRECIATED! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Okeedokee, I will have 5 axie eggs tuesday or wednesday. I would like to set up containers tonight, have things ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2007   #1 (permalink)
kara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Okeedokee, I will have 5 axie eggs tuesday or wednesday. I would like to set up containers tonight, have things ready.
Should I use new water, goldfish tank water or newt tank water? Which would be best? I was also recomended to house each egg seperately, until hatched and sturdy. (I think to avoid cannibalism) I have a foodsource read, just have to decide what a good first food will be.
All advice would be welcome! This is my first time raising eggs, and axies. I am so excited!
A list of DON'TS and DO'S would be nice to see as well.

Old 22nd April 2007   #2 (permalink)
kara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

and what is the ideal temp for eggs?

Old 23rd April 2007   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Kara, can understand your excitement. Check out the following link: www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm

We kept our eggs together using the parent tankwater for the first day, each day thereafter using dechlorinated water. But if you can keep them separate then it makes it easier when they hatch and when to start feeding them.

Cannibilism can start when livefood is running low, or when a limb is inadvertently mistaken for moving food and/or when there is a distinct size difference in larvae - the smaller ones can become the food!

If you want to hatch them sooner, keep the temperature higher under 24C; if you want to hatch them later while you're still sorting things out, live food etc... keep them about 16-18C/64F.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007   #4 (permalink)
kara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Kapo, thanks a lot for the link.

I do not have the parents, therefore no parental tank water. I do have T.Grans water, Pachytriton Labiatus water, and goldfish water.
Which would you reccomend?

also, did you use an airtone rearing your babies?

Old 23rd April 2007   #5 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Kara, I wouldn't recommend using any of that tank water. Dechlorinated water should be fine. I raised a handful of eggs on it.

I kept my larvae in small groups, 2-3, in tupperware bowls. This made observation fairly easy, as well as cleaning or feeding.

Old 23rd April 2007   #6 (permalink)
kara

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Kaysie. Did you use an airstone? This is the last thing I am unsure of. 5 eggs, I think I will house them all seperately, just to be safe. (Such a small number of eggs, want to optimize larvae survival rate)

Old 23rd April 2007   #7 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I didn't use an airstone. The tubs were shallow. There was about an inch of water in the tubs, probably less.

Tags
advice, appreciated, axolotl, coming, eggs, yay

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

Dad, Keke, satyrlike
LinkBack