The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I hope I'm right...

This is a discussion on I hope I'm right... within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; On another axolotl board is someone claiming that axolotls need UV lights. Also claiming the lack of said lights is ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
sharon

Gallery Images:
Comments:

On another axolotl board is someone claiming that axolotls need UV lights. Also claiming the lack of said lights is causing "spine disformation" in another members' axolotl.

I've read and read and the only comment on lights is that A. they not produce heat, B. needed for plants.

I say axolotls get their Vit. D from their foods.

Am I right?

Sharon

Old 15th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
pablo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I really donīt know. I had the axie problem. Now i guess is solved, donīt know how. But I said that I had metal in water, that my test detected, but.. i was wrong, cuase... MY KIT TEST DONT DETECT METALS IN WATER!!!, I was confused, sorry. But one problem could be the Algae. Maybe too much oxigen in water, I was reading that oxigen concentration over 11 mg/l can be letal to axolotls (bubble disease) and other staff with algae, so I took it out of the tank. And a very big piece of stone, very heavy and dark brown color. but nothing with vit D related, i guess.

Old 16th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
pablo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

sharon: thanks a lot! you where right about NO "spine disformation" an UV light

Old 16th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have never heard that axies needed light especially since the albino axies eyes are to sensitive to lght....but I could be wrong..? never know until you experience it I guess..

Old 16th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
sharon

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well I'm glad everything worked out good for you and your axolotl hun!

The other site is ok for gabbing about our pets but if you want GOOD reliable information THIS IS THE SITE to read!

Have fun!

Sharon

Old 16th May 2006   #6 (permalink)
pablo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

no doubt that this is the best site, but there are some proyects and studies very interestings, like this
www.conabio.gob.mx/institucion/proyectos/resultados/InfJ087.pdf
but, itīs in spanish.
bye

Old 16th May 2006   #7 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

snip "On another axolotl board is someone claiming that axolotls need UV lights. Also claiming the lack of said lights is causing "spine disformation" in another members' axolotl"

What they are referring to is the need in some animals for the spectrum of UV light corresponding to UVB (if I remember correctly close to 295 nm) which allows the animal to convert provitamin D to D3. This prevents a disruption of the calcium metabolism. However in a lot of nocturnal animals, the animal may either aquire sufficient D3 from the diet (for example if you use some pellets) or can synthesize it without exposure to D3. Caudates to date have not been shown to develop disruptions of the calcium metabolism when deprived of UVB...

Ed

Tags
hope, i'm

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

Kanga, NoahF, supergrappler
LinkBack