The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Can Axolotls be over fed?

This is a discussion on Can Axolotls be over fed? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Is it possible to over feed your axolotls? I know that if you feed gold fish too much that they ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Plonk has started on the right path
Default Can Axolotls be over fed?

Is it possible to over feed your axolotls? I know that if you feed gold fish too much that they will get fat. So can the same thing happen to our lil guys.
I know if I feed too much that there is waste in the tank.
Plonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: toffeebonbon has started on the right path

yes you can over feed him!!!
what are you feeding him, how much and how often?/
toffeebonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Plonk has started on the right path

I have just started out. I am still cycling my tank I havent got any axolotls in there yet. I just dont want to stuff up.
Plonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Thats a good question Plonk. Axolotl can be over fed . A full grown axolotl, approx 25-30 cm may only 'need' feeding maybe once/ twice a week depending on how warm they are..the cooler they are the less need to feed. My juveniles which are approx 6 inches are now being fed every other day , small juveniles daily and larvae (babies)twice a day. If your future axolotl is anything like my gang it may claim to be starving and need to be fed far more. I personally feed my adult male one earth worm ( approx 8cm in length ) alternate days and his offspring are now down to one worm each alternate days..they where starting to look like moving barrels ! my youngsters especially will accept food, my adult will reject food if he is not hungry.
It will also depend on what you choose to feed your axolotl. I prefer to give live earth worm whole or chopped with occasional thin strips of raw tiger prawn, lean meat,squid, heart. The youngsters get occasional pellets so that when they are rehomed I can pass on something that I know they will eat.
Keep asking the questions...don't be put off!
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, fed