The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bio wheel filters

This is a discussion on Bio wheel filters within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi I just ordered a penguin 350 bio wheel filter, before I found out about axolots and now I am ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jen1215 has started on the right path
Default Bio wheel filters

Hi I just ordered a penguin 350 bio wheel filter, before I found out about axolots and now I am really interested in getting one. I haven't seen anyone else on here mention a bio wheel filter.

Will this be okay to use?

Thanks.

Jen1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: bio wheel filters

Hello Jen,

I don't know why I never saw the thread before. Must be something to do with the number of times I hit the 'refresh' button

Bio-wheel filters make great filters and are perfectly fine to use. In your tank, you have nitrifying bacteria (which I'm sure you're aware of already), these bacteria do all sorts of wonderful things for your tank. However, the nitrifying bacteria are sensitive to amount of dissolved oxygen in tank. Nitrifying bacteria compete poorly with other aerobic bacteria; this is when a bio-wheel comes into play. The bio-wheel is effective in the process of nitrification because it brings the nitrifying bacteria into contact with the oxygen in the atmosphere. Generally speaking, if the levels of dissolved oxygen drop below 1 mg/L, nitrification will either slow or cease altogether.

Jay.

Old 9th June 2008   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: bio wheel filters

The only issue with biowheel filters is that they may cause a large amount of water movement, and may need to be baffled.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, filters, wheel

LinkBack