The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Newbie questions!

This is a discussion on Newbie questions! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; We are interested in purchasing some Axolotls and are in the process of setting up our tank. We have read ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bruce is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Newbie questions!

We are interested in purchasing some Axolotls and are in the process of setting up our tank. We have read all the info on the water flow etc. but cannot find anything about whether we need an air pump? If so, how can we do this without stressing them out? Also, we have read on other sites that it is not a good idea to have other fish in the tank with the Axolotl, but just wondered is this strictly true and whether there is a type of fish we could keep with them? Thankyou to anyone who is able to help!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Newbie questions!

Hi Bruce,

The filter usually provides more than enough aeoration to the water so you don't 'need' an air pump. It's really a matter of personal choice whether to have one or not. Some axolotls enjoy playing with the airstones and some find it stressful. If the axolotl is displaying any signs of stress with the airstone remove it as stress can lead to illness.

The only fish that can be kept safely with axies is feeder fish such as guppies and white cloud minnows (fish intended for food). If you love your fish, don't put it in with the axolotl. The axie lives by the axie code: "If it's smaller than me, moving by me, it just must be food!".

Larger fish can make an axolotl's life miserable by nipping the axolotl's gills and adding to water quality issues. Not many fish can tolerate the cold temperature which an axie needs to survive which is another issue. If the axolotl snaps at a fish that is too big, the fish can get stuck in the axolotl's mouth. Most importantly, some fish have natural defences such as spines which can kill an axolotl when the axie tries to eat it.

I would recommend you read through this 'mixing disasters' article: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml

If you haven't already found this part of the site, it gives all the information you need for the care of axolotls: http://www.axolotl.org/

And of course you can always pop into the forum with any questions you may have - unlike our axies we don't bite!

Cheers Jacq.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

As long as you have a filter that agitates the surface of the water somewhat, there is no need to have an air pump. I'd recommend searching the forum archives for "axolotl and fish" and things like that, and you'll find lots of old discussions about fish. How large is your tank?
Old 24th November 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thankyou so much for your reply, I think we won't bother with other fish in the tank! Looking forward to getting our Axylotl now, I'm sure we'll have more questions once we get them!
Old 24th November 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for the reply, our tank is 3ft wide, by 2ft deep, by 1.5ft height. We were hoping to have two Axylotl, will this be big enough?
Old 24th November 2008   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 43
Rep: gr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hello Bruce, a 3ft tank will be fine for 2 adult axolotls. Just be sure to provide them with plenty of hides so they can have some time out from each other.
And just to second what Jacq said Axolotls love to eat fish. I put 3 largeish platties in with mine one late afternoon and by the morning all three had surprisingly vanished into thin air.....hmmm....late night axolotl snack i think.

Tags
newbie, questions!