The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

General question on filters

This is a discussion on General question on filters within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone!!! I've been checking the forum trying to find out the optimal capacity (liters per hour) of the tank ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Celeste has given good advice and informationCeleste has given good advice and information
Default General question on filters

Hello everyone!!!

I've been checking the forum trying to find out the optimal capacity (liters per hour) of the tank filters.

So far, I haven't found a specific optimal proportion between the tank and the filter's capacity; so if any of you has information regarding this issue, I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me.

I currently own a 130 liters tank and a wet/dry filter that pumps 600 liters per hour (no axies yet). I know how to adjust the filter's outfeed in order to alter the current, but I can't alter the quantity of water that gets pumped. I am worried it would be pumping too much water.

On the other hand, I have a friend who's been housing axolotls for years and he recommended I use a protein skimmer. Has any of you used one of this? In case somebody has and had good results, what is the adecquate usage of this tool?

I would love to have some feedback about these topics.

Ta Ta

Celeste

Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11
Default Re: General question on filters

The general recommendation, at least for fishkeeping, is that your filter should turn over your full tank volume 5 times per hour. In your case your filter fits that requirement almost exactly so I think you'll be fine since you have already considered problems with excessive current.

As for protein skimmers, I don't think such a piece of equipment is necessary. While having one may help you maintain good water quality, such a device isn't required. I am not sure, but I seem to remember that protein skimmers are less effective when they aren't used in marine environments.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Celeste has given good advice and informationCeleste has given good advice and information
Default Re: General question on filters

Thanks for your reply Abrahm!!!

I was told that the skimmer can be used in freshwater with a stone difusor (im not sure if thats the correct word?), but thank you... I will do the changes I need to make the current less strong. I will ask for more information to my friend ( I havent been able to reach him), I hope I can post about his results later in case this issue could be of someone´s interest!!!!

Thanks a lot!

Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filters, general, question

LinkBack