The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Cleaning an old tank

This is a discussion on Cleaning an old tank within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I just bought a tank off of craigslist (community forum). Got a great deal, 55 gallon with filters, lights, gravel, ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rossmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Cleaning an old tank

I just bought a tank off of craigslist (community forum). Got a great deal, 55 gallon with filters, lights, gravel, rocks, stand, and more for $50 US. Anyway, It's covered in dead algae, and had been empty sitting in a garage for awhile. I know better than to use bleach, but am trying to find out what would be best to clean it, or should I stick to just water. I want to get it set up to cycle for the rest of the summer before I add my axolotls. They're small (3 inch) and still in a 10 gallon with a divider. Thanks
rossmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: The Banana has given good advice and informationThe Banana has given good advice and information
Default Re: Cleaning an old tank

I normally rinse and scrub with very salty water, then use white vinegar.. repeat as necessary, hose down VERY THOROUGHLY and leave in the sun for a few hours at least (day or two is best).

Works wonders this, have used it many times on tanks. One with nearly 10 years worth of mold on it .. now a sparkly clean 'lotl tank.
The Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: lea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and information

You can use bleach...I think it is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and rinse VERY well. Someone please correct if Im wrong.
lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: MereB is a mainstay of Caudata.orgMereB is a mainstay of Caudata.orgMereB is a mainstay of Caudata.orgMereB is a mainstay of Caudata.orgMereB is a mainstay of Caudata.orgMereB is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea View Post
You can use bleach...I think it is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and rinse VERY well. Someone please correct if Im wrong.
No you're right you can use bleach BUT it must be chlorine bleach not the Lemon bleach for example. Chlorine bleach (common household variety) should just be chlorine and water. You all remember Chlorine it's the stuff they put in our water that we use conditioner to get rid of
You don't have to dilute it but use rubber gloves if you choose to use it straight out of the bottle and wear old clothes that you don't mind throwing out after you're done because no matter how careful you are you will get it on them and they will be ruined.

Rinse well as with anything but Chlorine is destroyed very quickly by sunlight, withing a few minutes, making it perfectly safe for the job but terribly stinky while you're using it... I HATE the smell of chlorine.

You could also use diluted pool chlorine, as long as it doesn't contain a stabilizer, it's the same stuff just stronger but unless you're confident in diluting it properly to make it safe for skin contact just stick with the stuff from the supermarket.

Good luck.
Old 1st June 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

It may be wise to scrape some of the algae off with a razor blade before trying to scrub it. It'll probably go faster.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rossmon is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I didn't know bleach was chlorine. I'll do that. The chlorine will all evaporate, and I'm planning on cycling it for 6 or more weeks anyway.
rossmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've found that buying an algae pad really takes off the grime. I recently cleaned a tank that had dead algae on it for about seven years. Took a lot of elbow grease, but the algae pad really did wonders.
JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, clean, cleaning