The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Washing a filter

This is a discussion on Washing a filter within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Does washing the filter sponge wash out the bacteria too? Do i need to cycle again if i washed it ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2011   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Washing a filter

Does washing the filter sponge wash out the bacteria too? Do i need to cycle again if i washed it thoroughly with plain water?

thanks

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: The Banana has given good advice and informationThe Banana has given good advice and information
Default Re: Washing a filter

When you rinse out the filter sponge, just squeeze it in old tank water (like the bucket of water you took out from the water change). You won't kill off the good bacteria that way.

The Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

thanks! good advice!

bummer i rinsed it with tap water. Did i kill the bacteria?

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: The Banana has given good advice and informationThe Banana has given good advice and information

Ahh.. unfortunately, you probably would have. Keep an eye on the water levels if you can, you may experience a little mini-cycle.

Least you know for next time.. I've done the same manyyyy times before.

The Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Bacteria grow on every surface of your tank, not just on the filter. If your tank is not heavily stocked, you shouldn't have any problems.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011   #6 (permalink)
ax

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: ax has shown reliable knowledge

the less you clean a sponge filter the better I thought, very rarely and just squeeze it in old tank water... watch out for a mini cycle though after the tap water-

>}(o_o){<
ax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, bacteria, cleaning, filter, sponge

LinkBack