The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Filters, substrates, setups: please read before posting

This is a discussion on Filters, substrates, setups: please read before posting within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'd put max 2 axolotls in there. Even then it might get a little cramped once they're fully grown. But ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2014   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: keiko has given good advice and informationkeiko has given good advice and informationkeiko has given good advice and information
Default Re: Filters, substrates, setups: please read before posting

I'd put max 2 axolotls in there. Even then it might get a little cramped once they're fully grown. But the biggest problem is the height. You want the tank to be at least a little higher than your axie is long and axolotls can easily grow to 30 cm and over.

keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014   #22 (permalink)
Nyx

Nationality:
Rep: Nyx is an unknown quantity at this point

Would this be a suitable filter for a 20 gallon tank? It's one of the few filters in my price range(about $40 or less).
Zoo Med Turtle Clean 501 Turtle Tank External Canister Filter - Turtle Clean Canister Tank Filter - petco.com

Old 19th November 2014   #23 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It says right there in the description that it works for tanks up to 30 gallons. I don't see why it wouldn't work, though you have a wide range of options of other filters on that same site that would work and are under $40. Just go to the fish section and select "aquarium filters" and plenty of results will come up, a lot of which are under $40.

Old 17th March 2015   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: icecoolsupersta is an unknown quantity at this point

I was actually give the idea the other day to use Tile instead of sand or other substrates which seems like a great idea. especially since nowadays they have tile that looks like rocks yet this way there won't be any issues for impaction even for baby axolotls but a really nice appearance. going to try it this weekend!

icecoolsupersta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FoolsDance is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Filters, substrates, setups: please read before posting

I have read through this, but the link to cooling options link is broken. I have not yet found axolotl to purchase, and am still scaping the tank.

Any suggestions from experienced keepers in the south in the US? While I use AC in the summer, I generally keep it at 80 degrees farenheit. Will movement and aeration be sufficient to keep it cool enough or will I need a fan?

FoolsDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FoolsDance is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read through this, but the link to cooling options is broken. I have not yet found axolotl to purchase, and am still scaping the tank.

Any suggestions from experienced keepers in the south in the US? While I use AC in the summer, I generally keep it at 80 degrees farenheit. Will movement and aeration be sufficient to keep it cool enough or will I need a fan?

FoolsDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Drrukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have recently decided to buy an axolotl and I have some concerns about my substrate. I had bought all the necessities for a fish tank and threw it all in there before even realizing it could be wrong. I purchased black aquarium substrate which is obviously not sand as suggested many many times. After reading article after article I am assuming impaction from too large of gravel is the problem not the actual rocks themselves. The substrate I purchased is not large at all but bigger than sand. I was curious if this would be an immediate impact risk or potentially small enough to pass through without harm. I have not purchased an axolotl yet and would not place one in a situation it couldn't survive in but I was hoping for a little direction on this. I would prefer to not have the extra work of now removing all the substrate and replacing it with sand, but I appreciate and will follow all knowledgable advice.

Dan

Drrukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Swag has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrukes View Post
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have recently decided to buy an axolotl and I have some concerns about my substrate. I had bought all the necessities for a fish tank and threw it all in there before even realizing it could be wrong. I purchased black aquarium substrate which is obviously not sand as suggested many many times. After reading article after article I am assuming impaction from too large of gravel is the problem not the actual rocks themselves. The substrate I purchased is not large at all but bigger than sand. I was curious if this would be an immediate impact risk or potentially small enough to pass through without harm. I have not purchased an axolotl yet and would not place one in a situation it couldn't survive in but I was hoping for a little direction on this. I would prefer to not have the extra work of now removing all the substrate and replacing it with sand, but I appreciate and will follow all knowledgable advice.

Dan
I'd get rid of it, personally.

Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Drrukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag View Post
I'd get rid of it, personally.
National Geographic

I figured that would most likely be the case. Above is the link for what I have and although th size of the pieces are really pretty small I am assuming it's still a risk not worth taking. I am in the process of aging the new tank currently so I'll just go out and by sand at some point later this week and replace the substrate.

Thanks

Drrukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dace is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I will be setting up my tank for axolotls and I'm going with live plants. I plan to use Caribsea Flora Max for a substrate to root the plants in. I'll put about 2" in so the roots will take hold and they will be less likely to be uprooted, then going with an 1-1 1/2" of play sand over that. I'll be planting anubias and banana plants and possibly curly bamboo. I've got a 29 gallon tank and plan on getting 2 Axolotls. You guys are the experts so I'm hoping you will be able to spot any potential problems.

Dace

Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: OasisAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point

Click the image to open in full size.

Would this be okay for my Axolotl?

OasisAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tammyaxie has started on the right path

Hey. I am cycling my 40 gallon breeder tank for 3 juvies. It is coming along nicely now. Crystal clear water. I just need it to cycle. These are my parameters:
PH 7.2
Amonia .50 ppm
Nitrite .50 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm

Is this the look of a "getting there" tank or is there somethibg ai could be doing. I do a 40% water change daily and I jave ghost shrimp only in the tank now. About 4 of the 20 i have died off and i just fping one rotting away in tge small bushy plant in the righy corner. Any advice?Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tammyaxie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack