The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New outdoor tank

This is a discussion on New outdoor tank within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi guys, It has been a while since I last posted anything so I thought I would let you know ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Toptex
  • 1 Post By blackdog
  • 1 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Toptex has started on the right path
Thumbs up New outdoor tank

Hi guys,
It has been a while since I last posted anything so I thought I would let you know what I've been up to.

I had many issues in regards to the temperature of the water with my inside tanks. My poor axies were truly stressing and I did everything short of buying a cooler to try and keep water temps down. Consequently I lost 3 of my gorgeous axies so we had to think of an alternative.

I have 4 axies, Darky, Daisy, Sunshine and Grenade and they have been relegated outside and almost forgotten. But that's not to say that they have been neglected. They are fed a bunch of healthy fat earth worms every 3/4 days and are swimming happily in their new rain water tank that we set up about a year ago.

Thankfully my hubby is handy. He obtained a foam box from a kitchen appliance place, rendered it and sealed it. We placed it under a downwater pipe which collects the rainwater from the roof and I connected a filter (tho probably a bit small for the size of the tank.) A bag of sand (let it settle for a week or so), some live plants in it and my tank was born, my axies happy as ever. It never overflows as we consistently use the water for the garden.

I regularly test the water specs and they are perfect and water temp is a low 13-16 degrees C all year round due to the polystyrene properties.

So there you have it.....my axie tank.

Cheers
MA
Attached Thumbnails
New outdoor tank-img_0371.jpg   New outdoor tank-img_0376.jpg   New outdoor tank-img_0377.jpg  

Old 12th September 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: New outdoor tank

Do you net the tank to avoid predation by wallabies or what ever is living in your area?

Old 12th September 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Awesome! Predataition happens when the pond/tank is shallow enough for the predators to get in. They might be safe in thee because it seems quite deep. Great set up.

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Axolotls do come to the surface a cat could get them,excellant set up, the axolotls must love it.

Old 12th September 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

thats true, or a bird.

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

No I don't. It serves as a drinking tank for all the wallabies and kangaroos too.

We have heaps of possums too but have never had a problem falling in - they hate water.

Probably not a bad idea to put some sort of cover on top though, for safety and mossie reasons.

Old 12th September 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: blackdog is a mainstay of Caudata.orgblackdog is a mainstay of Caudata.orgblackdog is a mainstay of Caudata.orgblackdog is a mainstay of Caudata.orgblackdog is a mainstay of Caudata.orgblackdog is a mainstay of Caudata.org

HA - Ian, you nearly made coffee come out my nose!

Predatory wallabies? Very funny.

It's not the wallibies you have to watch, it's the drop bears..........

Bren

blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpebble View Post
thats true, or a bird.
Yeah, I did think a bird might be interested but seems not. Since I have put the axies in the tank a year ago, I have never seen them swim to the top of the water. They used to swim a lot when I had them in the tanks inside but now they are always on the ground. Maybe they have a sixth sense and stay put on the ground in case of predators.

Old 12th September 2011   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
HA - Ian, you nearly made coffee come out my nose!

Predatory wallabies? Very funny.

It's not the wallibies you have to watch, it's the drop bears..........

Bren
Lol, glad you appreciated the joke! ive seen animal planet and wallabies beaks are way too short to get an axolotl.

Tags
recyling, sand, tanks, tanksetup, water, water quality

LinkBack