The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Ways to keep tank cool!!!

This is a discussion on Ways to keep tank cool!!! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello all, I currently live in a cold area that stays cool year round (and keeps my tank perfectly chilled) ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brtnykys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: brtnykys is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Ways to keep tank cool!!!

Hello all, I currently live in a cold area that stays cool year round (and keeps my tank perfectly chilled) but I will be moving in a few months to a town which is much warmer on average. I am worried that the summer months may bring the temperature of my tank to an unhealthy level and was wondering what DIY kind of cooling solutions you have come up with to keep your tank cool. I understand that tank chillers are available but they are so expensive and as a struggling student I can't afford a $200 chiller and keeping an air conditioner on 24/7 will probably hurt me financially as well.

I understand that fans and the placement of the tank in a cool,dark, and low area is essential for temperature control, but I am wondering how well this will work in a town that can see temperatures in the high 80s and even 90s during the summer months.

Does anybody have some suggestions which won't cost me an arm and a leg? I might be willing to buy a chiller if you could suggest trustworthy brands that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

I have a 20 gallon tank and 2 axolotls. Thanks all, I am really worried and I don't want to re-home my babies!
brtnykys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dad of axle has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Ways to keep tank cool!!!

Hello, I live in Australia where it is still summer and we have had two hot spells this year already. Both with temperatures over 106 F for a number of days.

To keep my tank cool (three foot tank with one axie) I used milk cartons with frozen water that i floated in the tank and I put a portable fan and air conditioner on as well.
This is not an ideal arrangement and i have just paid for a chiller on ebay. I bid on a second hand one that went for $330 but missed out and instead have bought a new Hailea for slightly more.

I have been advised that this should lower the tank temperature by up to 12 degrees, which would be good. It comes with a thermostat too.
dad of axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You could just put your axolotl in the fridge in the summer months.

There are lots of threads about fans, which can drop your temperature 3-4 degrees, depending on humidity. But you have to top up the water frequently.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: brtnykys is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your advice. I will look at chillers but fans and refrigeration seem to be the way I'll have to go for a while.
brtnykys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: rasputin has started on the right path

Hi,

I was on stumble upon the other day and saw this. I am "lucky" enough to live somewhere cold enough so I don't need it but it may help you!?

Thermo-Electric Axolotl Cooling
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Eastling352 has started on the right path

I would go with fans. I put together 3 computer fans i just about 30 mins including the "suspension mechanism" (a few steel wires) and it lowered my temperature from 20-21 to around 18.

Here:
Click the image to open in full size.
Eastling352 is offline   Reply With Quote