The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Housing larvae?

This is a discussion on Housing larvae? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I am starting a breeding project as soon as I get my golden albino female from buy-axolotls.com. I was wondering ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr0gr1n

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information
Default Housing larvae?

I am starting a breeding project as soon as I get my golden albino female from
buy-axolotls.com. I was wondering the if anyone could provide pics on their larvae setups. What is the best way to house many larvae and not have canibalisticn problems.

Thank you

Evan

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: millerj76 has given consistently good advice and informationmillerj76 has given consistently good advice and informationmillerj76 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Housing larvae?

LOTS & LOTS OF TUBS!!! Axolotls generally lay between 150 to 250 eggs, but have heard of bigger broods, whilst they are just eggs they can be kept together, but it may be easier to seperate them into smaller groups of eggs, as this will help when they start hatching.For the first month or 2 you can keep upto 10 larvae in 1 tub/container, so if you have 250 eggs, that's 25 containers, and these will require daily water change's, which can become tiresome, although dedication turns that into joy and pleasure when you see them growing, but then they will come into the canabalistic stage, and if you don't seperate them into individual containers, and they start biting each other and causing injuries, they may well regenerate, but if you plan on raising them to sell, if they have'nt been seperated during the canabalistic stage, then they may always attack others axolotls. So be prepared to have lots of containers. I have also read that if the axolotls are not hungry, so well fed, then this also buffers the canabalistic stage. This is just how i do it, and it works fine, but i only raise 50 max, couldn't handle 250.

millerj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Housing larvae?

I have just raised 30 from the egg to about 5-6 inches and have had maybe 2 lost limbs, no missing gills. I started them all out in a small tub then split them into two then into three larger 1.5 gallon long tubs. I kept them separated by size and they were at times not evenly divided between the three tubs. The time I noticed missing limbs was right after they started growing them.

I keep them well fed and not stacked on top of each other like cord wood and they have done just fine.

I would just go with the mind set that if they are well fed, water is clean and cool and you keep them separated by size and dont over crowd any one tub/tank you should be fine. If you end up with a couple biters then spread them out a bit more.

Good Luck

LinkBack