The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Planted Substrate Question

This is a discussion on Planted Substrate Question within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, Im still in the preliminary research stage before setting up/ purchasing my axolotls but I do know that I ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ManderinVa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planted Substrate Question

Hello,

Im still in the preliminary research stage before setting up/ purchasing my axolotls but I do know that I want to have live plants in my aquarium, so I have a substrate question. I have access to a product called Fluval Stratum, its a substrate for plants and I have seen it work well in tanks without axies but I wonder if I was to lay down a layer of tis substrate and then put axie safe sand over it would it be safe to use? If anyone has any experience with this stuff or something like it an info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

ManderinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axiekeeper has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Planted Substrate Question

This seems to be a perfectly acceptable way to go. Just cap with enough sand that it never gets dug up.
Ive got stuff under my sand that i wouldnt want dug up so i put 1.5 inches of sand on top, takes longer for roots to reach the goodstuff but it will get there.

axiekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi,

I bought plants in my local aquarium shop that were 'ready rooted' on bog wood and coconut shells that double as hides. You could see if your local stores sell similar?

CJ

CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axiekeeper has shown reliable knowledge

those plants attached to bogwood, etc... are cool, and wouldn't need a planted substrate either.

axiekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

They're really tough too, my two give them some serious jip and the plants are still going strong!

CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack