The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Recommendations on how to start my tank

This is a discussion on Recommendations on how to start my tank within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi I'm going to be getting an Axolotl soon and I've been doing quite a bit of research but I've ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: MearWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendations on how to start my tank

Hi I'm going to be getting an Axolotl soon and I've been doing quite a bit of research but I've found very little on how to initially set up a tank to introduce the Axy to.

I'm looking at using a fine sand substrate with some live plants and maybe moss-balls.
What plants would people advise I use or stay away from?
What is the opinion on moss-balls with Axolotls?

Can I just whack the dechlorinated water in, turn the filter on and off I go?
Or does one have to let it settle and/or do anything else when starting a new tank?

Also does an Axolotl have to be aclimatised to the new environment much like you would do with a fish?

MearWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: peatea has shown reliable knowledgepeatea has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Recommendations on how to start my tank

Hi,

You might find the following 'sticky' useful if you haven't read it already. It may not answer all of your questions, but gives advice on most of them.

Filters, substrates, setups: please read before postingFilters, substrates, setups: please read before posting

Last edited by peatea; 3rd January 2013 at 10:32. Reason: Inserted link not working
peatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: MearWolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peatea View Post
Hi,

You might find the following 'sticky' useful if you haven't read it already. It may not answer all of your questions, but gives advice on most of them.

Filters, substrates, setups: please read before postingFilters, substrates, setups: please read before posting
Thanks but I've read that one and it doesn't really answer my questions about initial tank setup. Or at least as far as I can see

MearWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Recommendations on how to start my tank

Moss balls are fine.

You should let the water settle for a while to de-gas. If you're familiar with fish keeping, introduce axolotls in the same way you would fish.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack