The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas

This is a discussion on Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Inspired to get crafty with help from the various geniuses on these forums I have decided to start playing with ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree18Likes
  • 8 Post By FX1C
  • 1 Post By Bubilog
  • 1 Post By Martin21114
  • 7 Post By FX1C
  • 1 Post By tigmades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2013   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas

Inspired to get crafty with help from the various geniuses on these forums I have decided to start playing with some moss ideas.

I decided to start small & make some hanging ropes - just by plaiting some fine rope & weaving in java moss.

I'm really happy with the final results -
Will be interesting how long it takes to look like green mossy rope :)

Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360572944.967028.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360572958.564678.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360572973.529825.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360572986.870769.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360573002.431277.jpg

I'll be making some weird creations & coming soon ideas for moss wall -
I will post pics as I do & I'll update the moss ropes as they grow. :)

If you've made anything with moss or plants & have crafty planted ideas post them here with pics :)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bubilog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas

Although these are from my shrimp tank, here is a moss mesh that i plan to use on my future tank,I will use one with smaller holes and attach the mesh to my pvc pipes
I also have a moss wall and the moss is starting grow out of the holes
Attached Thumbnails
Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-img_0539.jpg   Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-img_0540.jpg  

Bubilog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 3
Rep: Martin21114 has given consistently good advice and informationMartin21114 has given consistently good advice and informationMartin21114 has given consistently good advice and informationMartin21114 has given consistently good advice and information

Here's some riccia moss tied to a piece of wood w/ black string. Your ropes look really cool. I'm also quite jealous of your java ferns, they look nice too.
Attached Thumbnails
Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-img_1831.jpg  

Martin21114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin21114 View Post
Here's some riccia moss tied to a piece of wood w/ black string. Your ropes look really cool. I'm also quite jealous of your java ferns, they look nice too.
I love that frog bowl sooo much ❤🐸
The riccia looks fantastic - I'm about to buy a lot of different mosses to see which ones work the best - I've got a punnet of riccia ordered too :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Old 27th February 2013   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Had a few minutes to spare and picked up a huge amount of java moss the other day which inspired a creation - which seems to be a hit :)

Axolotl Agility Rings
Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962120.477323.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962137.562908.jpg
Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962160.730641.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962182.731421.jpg
Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962209.399990.jpgJava Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962249.606889.jpg
Java Moss Ropes - Moss creations - Moss walls - Crafty Ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361962265.410229.jpg

<3 >o_o< <3

Old 27th February 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bubilog is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you goin to train them to swim through the loop? =))

Bubilog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubilog View Post
Are you goin to train them to swim through the loop? =))
Yup

Axolotl agility assault course!

I would love to set up a vertical pole line so I could train an axolotl to run the course then weave through the verticals Just need to add a ramp & a seesaw / teeter totter & a LOT of patience & worms for training lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Old 27th February 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tigmades has given good advice and informationtigmades has given good advice and informationtigmades has given good advice and information

hey, if goldfish can be taught to play soccer (albeit very basic rules....), why not agility for axolotls!

Old 22nd April 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NadeZ has started on the right path

Old thread but worth reviving. How exactly did you create these? Whenever I try to tie java moss around anything it just snaps. I like the budgie rings and I really want to get java moss growing around the filter inlet pipe and spray bar to conceal them.

NadeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ariel is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think they are actually tying the moss branches themselves, but attaching the moss with string. Aquascapists usually use fishing line or sewing thread. Fishing line is good because it's invisible, but if it's something that will be around for a while, sewing thread is nice because it eventually dissolves. By the time the string dissolves java moss will root itself to whatever it is growing on (if can.) It won't root into things like polished rock or glass, but it can root into natural wood or stone. You can't "plant" it for some reason though -the buried parts will rot.

Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bugdozer has started on the right path

Whenever I put java moss in my tanks, it just dies.

bugdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledgeSkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledge

I would love to see more mossy stuff. I really hope someone updates!

SkollSunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lianne has shown reliable knowledge

My mossy creation:

Click the image to open in full size.

The tank isn't ready yet. :) I just put LEDs in (the lights on this picture are the standard TLs - they were bright as heck!) and will order plants soon!

Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledgeSkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne View Post
My mossy creation:

Click the image to open in full size.

The tank isn't ready yet. :) I just put LEDs in (the lights on this picture are the standard TLs - they were bright as heck!) and will order plants soon!
You're so organized, I want you to come and decorate my house.

SkollSunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lianne has shown reliable knowledge

LOL I would love to, Zerrin! Decorating is awesome to do (o:

Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack