The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cycling a new filter

This is a discussion on Cycling a new filter within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, I have just bought a new filter, it's an 'all pond solutions' 1000 EF I am using it to ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cornallster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cycling a new filter

Hi,

I have just bought a new filter, it's an 'all pond solutions' 1000 EF I am using it to replace an internal filter in my 120 litre tank that currently only has 1 axolotl.

I have heard that I should run both filters for a few weeks to allow the bacteria to move across I have also read that I should put the old filter media in the new filter.

My question is which should I do? Should I put the old media in the new filter or should I just leave both running for a few weeks? I just don't see that doing both is an option because the old filter wouldn't have any media in it. I guess I want to know what people think is best?

And how long do I leave the old media in the new filter/ the old filter running in the tank.

Thanks

cornallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: wandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I would just put the old media into the new filter and add new media to fill the space (rinsed in old tank water to get rid of any dust etc). If possible, even mixing the two. Depends on what media you have, of course. And assuming you are not planning to use the old filter in another tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wandering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, cycling, filters, tanks setup

LinkBack