The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store


Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have recently purchase 2 Axolotls. Both are wild types, but 1 is a glowing type. I want to say ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree4Likes


Reply

 

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2013   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

I have recently purchase 2 Axolotls. Both are wild types, but 1 is a glowing type. I want to say they are supposed to be about 3 or 4 inches, I can't remember. All I have to do is add another hide, some more silk plants, some LARGE river stones, and get 2 sponge filters. This is temporary, until I can get my big tank clean, a top made for it, and they get bigger. I may change up the decor. Not really happy with it, except for my foam floating plants, you can get for Bettas.

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are.
Attached Thumbnails
Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?-bruises-bugs-house-055.jpg   Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?-bruises-bugs-house-057.jpg  



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Quentari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 567
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Hi!

Have you got a little filter for those? if not you'll have to do around 50% water changes daily to make sure the water's okay for your little axies, other than that they should be fine temporarily while they're still small. Just remember to get a nice big one for them before they outgrow the little tanks!!

Have you heard about cycling yet? it won't be an issue if you're doing daily water changes but once you have a bigger tank + filter you might want to look into it.



Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentari View Post
Hi!

Have you got a little filter for those? if not you'll have to do around 50% water changes daily to make sure the water's okay for your little axies, other than that they should be fine temporarily while they're still small. Just remember to get a nice big one for them before they outgrow the little tanks!!

Have you heard about cycling yet? it won't be an issue if you're doing daily water changes but once you have a bigger tank + filter you might want to look into it.

No I haven't got filters for them yet. And yes I know about cycling. I am a fish and reptile keeper. I am looking to make my own sponge filters for these 2.

ALSO: I changed the plants to my bigger silk plants. They look better, now. Just need a hide for the green kritter keeper.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Tephra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Nationality:
Posts: 308
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Tephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

You are now obliged to post cute pictures of your new pets.



Tephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephra View Post
You are now obliged to post cute pictures of your new pets.
I will as soon as I get them in. And settled in their set ups.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Quentari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 567
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeAxolotl View Post
No I haven't got filters for them yet. And yes I know about cycling. I am a fish and reptile keeper. I am looking to make my own sponge filters for these 2.

ALSO: I changed the plants to my bigger silk plants. They look better, now. Just need a hide for the green kritter keeper.
Oh good I did have a moment where I wasn't sure if you were really new (those plastic 'tanks' are really cheap and most newbies use them) so I had a moment of panic before remembering to be polite because even if you are new that's no excuse to be mean and being helpful is better anyway besides, cheap tanks are excelent for temporary tanks!

Wow that was all completely off-topic... Hopefully we can see some pictures soon!



Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentari View Post
Oh good I did have a moment where I wasn't sure if you were really new (those plastic 'tanks' are really cheap and most newbies use them) so I had a moment of panic before remembering to be polite because even if you are new that's no excuse to be mean and being helpful is better anyway besides, cheap tanks are excelent for temporary tanks!

Wow that was all completely off-topic... Hopefully we can see some pictures soon!
Yes they are. And I already had these. I actually have a bigger tank that needs to be cleaned for them. I probably won't get them for another month or 2.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Quentari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 567
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

OH I didn't realise you didn't even have them yet



Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentari View Post
OH I didn't realise you didn't even have them yet
Nope not yet. Can't wait for them. So exciting.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Pretty bummed. My Axies arrived were DOA. One seemed like it was dead for a while.




TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Tephra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Nationality:
Posts: 308
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Tephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Uhm... were they sent by mail or something? I know that can work easily with axolotl eggs, but it's not advisable to do this with live animals...

The best thing you can do is pick them up from a breeder, or ask if any breeder here is close enough to where you live.



Tephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Alkylhalide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Posts: 993
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information
Default

I got my two shipped to me no problems at all. They were shipped with overnight delivery and left her door and got to my door in 17hours. Along with some eggs as well. All took the trip wonderfully neither were stressed, they ate that same day.

If you are going to ship live animals, time and weather need to be considered. Its summer so i would assume ive packs in a cooler would ne necessary for a trip, and the trip would need to be less then 24hours.. I got mine in the winter time and there were those heating pad things for them so the water didnt freeze. They were even still warm when they arrived.



Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephra View Post
Uhm... were they sent by mail or something? I know that can work easily with axolotl eggs, but it's not advisable to do this with live animals...

The best thing you can do is pick them up from a breeder, or ask if any breeder here is close enough to where you live.
Yes they were shipped. I don't know of any local breeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkylhalide View Post
I got my two shipped to me no problems at all. They were shipped with overnight delivery and left her door and got to my door in 17hours. Along with some eggs as well. All took the trip wonderfully neither were stressed, they ate that same day.

If you are going to ship live animals, time and weather need to be considered. Its summer so i would assume ive packs in a cooler would ne necessary for a trip, and the trip would need to be less then 24hours.. I got mine in the winter time and there were those heating pad things for them so the water didnt freeze. They were even still warm when they arrived.
I figured that was part of it. But one look like it had his stomach ripped open.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Alkylhalide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Posts: 993
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information
Default

Oh no how were they shipped? If you want to pm me instead you can. I am guessing they were not packaged right.. I am so sorry for your loss. can you maybe find another breeder that perhaps has more experience shipping live pets?



Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkylhalide View Post
Oh no how were they shipped? If you want to pm me instead you can. I am guessing they were not packaged right.. I am so sorry for your loss. can you maybe find another breeder that perhaps has more experience shipping live pets?
Sent you a PM.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Well, I got everything sorted out. Got her to ship me some more. I feel bad. I am her first DOA.

Got my filters made and in the tanks. They are made from Medium Medicine Bottles, washed of course, Filter floss, gravel, air stone, air hose, and air pump. They look nice. About to begin cycling process. Hopefully they have a while until they are here. Going to add rocks from my established tank.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Alkylhalide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Posts: 993
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information
Default

My one though on this is they most likely will grow out of those before you even get the cycling complete. Just a fyi. They grow really fast as juveniles.



Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkylhalide View Post
My one though on this is they most likely will grow out of those before you even get the cycling complete. Just a fyi. They grow really fast as juveniles.
Really? I didn't know they grew fast no that fast. I haven't even got them yet. Since the first were DOA. I guess instead of cycling I will just work on their main tank, getting it ready. Thanks!



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
Alkylhalide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Nationality:
Posts: 993
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information
Default

Well it takes a long time to cycle a tank with lotls in them and in 8weeks they could be over 5 or 6".. After 6" i find they slow down in growth but my three juveniles are 5months old and are 6"..



Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
TheJadeAxolotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 25
Posts: 72
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheJadeAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkylhalide View Post
Well it takes a long time to cycle a tank with lotls in them and in 8weeks they could be over 5 or 6".. After 6" i find they slow down in growth but my three juveniles are 5months old and are 6"..
Okay, Thank you. I will have to just get the main tank ready. then. I am think of doing a sand bottom with live plants. I already have pieces of wood with Java Ferns tied to it.



TheJadeAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axololt, axololts, juvenile, kritter keeper, wild type

LinkBack
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Juvenile Axolotl or Axolotl Eggs ddrbunnie Wanted in the USA 1 24th November 2012 22:52
Help with new juvenile Axolotl DeCypher Axolotl General Discussion 11 6th January 2011 20:59
Want to buy axolotl egg or juvenile phoenixidr Wanted in Australia or New Zealand 1 19th July 2010 09:41
New axolotl didn't look too healthy, your thoughts? Rammoth Sick Axolotl? 6 29th August 2008 19:12
Juvenile axolotl bellabelloo FS: United Kingdom (just UK) 3 20th April 2008 19:43


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21.