The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Setup for new axolotl - help?

This is a discussion on Setup for new axolotl - help? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Here is what I have and what I know. Could I get some advice on this? Its my first axolotl ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ElaineSelene is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Setup for new axolotl - help?

Here is what I have and what I know. Could I get some advice on this? Its my first axolotl / amphibian. So I just want to make sure things are right.

20 gallon long
bare bottom tank
plenty of hiding places
only decorations too big to fit in it's months / larger than it's

Can I use my filter on the tank? its a 30 gallon hang on filter. (no bar. How do I break the current?)
Should I use a bubbler/airstone on a LOW setting?

I know how to chill the water with an ice bottle and I will feed dried worms and pellets...

What should I know? What am I missing?
Thanks!

P.S. I have water already cycled with fish (I took the fish out and gave them away) is that ok to use? I'm cleaning it now. :) Thanks!

Last edited by ElaineSelene; 9th August 2013 at 06:39. Reason: forgot to say something
ElaineSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path
Default Re: Setup for new axolotl - help?

That should be an okay filter, install it and see how hard it pushes into the water. You can break it up with a plastic bottle or maybe one of those hang-on turtle rocks if it's creating a lot of force.

Bubblers are a great idea! most axies seem to love playing in them.

dried worms? or did you mean dry pellets? pellets and earthworms are perfect for staple diets, almost everything else is a "sometimes" food. Like cake for humans. (unless you're like me, in which case cake is an always food!)

Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentari View Post
That should be an okay filter, install it and see how hard it pushes into the water. You can break it up with a plastic bottle or maybe one of those hang-on turtle rocks if it's creating a lot of force.

Bubblers are a great idea! most axies seem to love playing in them.

dried worms? or did you mean dry pellets? pellets and earthworms are perfect for staple diets, almost everything else is a "sometimes" food. Like cake for humans. (unless you're like me, in which case cake is an always food!)
I have a cycled tank (it had tropical fish in it, now its empty). I just built a cool rock den for it out of stone slabs and smooth tumbled chunks. It should be tall enough to break the current on top of it.

I meant freeze dried blood worms. :) And dry pellets too. Cake is FOR SURE an all the time food! LOL.

Old 10th August 2013   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Dried worms aren't the best. Live is first choice, frozen if you can't get live, but dried food loses much of it's nutritional value. Pellets are gret nutritionally, but can foul the water if you miss any when cleaning up.

Bare bottom is great, you could add a few large stones for decoration if you wanted, or resin ornaments.

Airstones are great - bubble surfing is a great hobby for axies!

Do you have plants? Real ro fake doesn't make much difference, but I found my NO3 much easier to control with real plants.

Do you have a turkey baster and a siphon? Or a vac? Vacs are expensive but worth it, a turkey baster of dirt cheap and great for sucking up poop (until the poops get too big!)

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Dried worms aren't the best. Live is first choice, frozen if you can't get live, but dried food loses much of it's nutritional value. Pellets are gret nutritionally, but can foul the water if you miss any when cleaning up.

Bare bottom is great, you could add a few large stones for decoration if you wanted, or resin ornaments.

Airstones are great - bubble surfing is a great hobby for axies!

Do you have plants? Real ro fake doesn't make much difference, but I found my NO3 much easier to control with real plants.

Do you have a turkey baster and a siphon? Or a vac? Vacs are expensive but worth it, a turkey baster of dirt cheap and great for sucking up poop (until the poops get too big!)
Maybe I could do frozen. Problem is I'm pretty unhappy with touching the worms. :P I know that's really silly of me though. I'll do whats best for my pet if I can.

Do you know where I can get pellets? Only place I've found them is on eBay from Germany I think? Yikes.

Right now I don't have money (I'm trading the woman for the axolotl!) so I built my decorations and used some old decorations. I have plenty of rocks though (I collect them) so I'll raid my collection more and see what I have.

I have a gravel vac. One of those 50 foot long ones for the sink. :)

Thanks for the advice! :)

Old 10th August 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emmyk has shown reliable knowledge

Careful about what rocks you use! There's a list of safe ones around here somewhere...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

emmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: narny101 has shown reliable knowledge

good luck with your new axie!

they really are the coolest things ever

P.S love my new avatar... Luna loves posing ;D

Tags
aquarium, axolotl, decorations, filtration, oxygen, setup, tank

LinkBack