The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Need Suggestions On a New Filter

This is a discussion on Need Suggestions On a New Filter within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'm looking in to new filters and and i cant seem to find the right one. I have 2 juvenile ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PatchworkClocks
  • 2 Post By SariYappa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tnicholl95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Suggestions On a New Filter

I'm looking in to new filters and and i cant seem to find the right one. I have 2 juvenile axies ( about 3 - 4 inches) in a 10 gallon tank at the moment and need a filter that wont put out too much power. Although, i will be upgrading to a 20 - 30 gallon tank in the near future so it would be nice to be able to transfer this new filter over as well. I'm looking for a HOB for now maybe even a sponge, I like the look of this fluval aquaclear for 10 - 30 gal tanks but i still need another persons opinion. Even if it is too powerful could i create something to slow the current?

Fluval AquaClear Power Filter - Power Filters - Filters - PetSmart

I am still open to any suggestions and feedback, I'm not really too educated on filters and it would be nice to hear your opinions as well as knowledge on the subject. Thanks!

tnicholl95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Default Re: Need Suggestions On a New Filter

I dont have much knowledge on filters either and i didnt want things outside the tank taking up much space ect so i just went with an internal corner filter, it works fine for me and only cost 20 so can easily be replaced, i added a sponge filter in there too just to help with the cleaning, ect.

I heard people mention canister filters a lot and say they are good for axies but im not really sure what they are

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: PatchworkClocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Canister filters are just the filters that go inside the tank, rather than hanging on the side. The best kind of filter that you could get that would work with both a 10 gallon and a 20-30 gallon is a medium-sized HOB that has an adjustable outflow rate. The kind I have on my tank right now is a Topfin 20, which will cycle up to a 20 gallon tank, but I have it set up on a 10 gallon, with a very low flow rate. It works just fine for my purposes and the outflow current is low enough that my axolotl actually ENJOYS laying under it.

PatchworkClocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchworkClocks View Post
Canister filters are just the filters that go inside the tank, rather than hanging on the side. The best kind of filter that you could get that would work with both a 10 gallon and a 20-30 gallon is a medium-sized HOB that has an adjustable outflow rate. The kind I have on my tank right now is a Topfin 20, which will cycle up to a 20 gallon tank, but I have it set up on a 10 gallon, with a very low flow rate. It works just fine for my purposes and the outflow current is low enough that my axolotl actually ENJOYS laying under it.
I always thought they were just called 'internal filters', i might have a canister filter then, but wiki says canister filter are the ones that sit outside the tank and a pipe feeds the water to it then back to the tank? :)
My one inside the tank does the job anyway and thats whats important

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: PatchworkClocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by layna View Post
I always thought they were just called 'internal filters', i might have a canister filter then, but wiki says canister filter are the ones that sit outside the tank and a pipe feeds the water to it then back to the tank? :)
My one inside the tank does the job anyway and thats whats important
"Canister filter" can be used for either type. The kind you read about on the wiki is the one that is (sometimes) suctioned to the side of a tank, and is connected to an air pump.

Speaking of which, that type of canister filter might be a good idea, too. Only problem with one of those is that the air pump makes a bit of noise unless you set it on a towel or a piece of foam.

PatchworkClocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: SariYappa has shown reliable knowledge

Ater a lot of research, I finally chose the eheim classic canister filter.
Eheim Classic Canister Filter with Media - 2211
This one sits outside the tank, but is tall and thin, not taking up too much room. They have an awesome reputation for filtering for more than 20 years.

It has it's own built in pump, is known for its whisper quiet operation, and you can change the types of mechanical filtration you use
(I sound like a commercial!)

I get it in the mail this week. Once I set it up, I'll probably do a little review on it

Tags
axolotl, filter, filtration, hob, power, suggestions

LinkBack