The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What are good feeders to start a cycle with?

This is a discussion on What are good feeders to start a cycle with? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I had a thought; when I finally get into my apartment and get my tank up and running, could I ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xxianxx
  • 1 Post By SkollSunChaser
  • 1 Post By SariYappa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledgeSkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledge
Default What are good feeders to start a cycle with?

I had a thought; when I finally get into my apartment and get my tank up and running, could I use feeder fish to start up a cycle? I know that some folks use feeders for their axolotls, and I wanted to cycle with fish to start with (I read in one spot that it was faster with fish, though I may have misread or gotten bad information). So, with that said, are there any fish that you guys would recommend, or avoid at all costs? Or, is there a good reason for me to avoid the idea entirely? Any feedback is always appreciated :3

SkollSunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: What are good feeders to start a cycle with?

Its easier to do a fishless cycle to cycle a tank, no need to expose a fish to ammonia. Also its less hassle without fish as you will not have to do daily water changes. If you really feel the need to use fish, endlers, guppies or white cloud minnows would be ok.

Old 8th October 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Possum63 has shown reliable knowledge

The above advice is pretty spot on. Fishless cycle is a lot less work because you don't have to do the water changes to keep levels at living conditions for the fish used to cycle the tank. But, I've done it both ways and I don't mind either. If you have the time for the cycle with fish then go ahead.

Possum63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information

I would defiantly advise a fishless cycle, then literally all you need to do until near the end of the cycle, is put a drop of ammonia in daily

Also Axies are quite messy animals so you would need a lot of fish to produce the same amount of ammonia as a couple of axies

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledgeSkollSunChaser has shown reliable knowledge

Considering I'd rather have it up and running as soon as possible, I'll probably hold off on the little fishies :3 Thanks for the advice, I'm so glad I signed up for this forum!

SkollSunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: SariYappa has shown reliable knowledge

Another option, if you know somebody with a healthy, established freshwater tank...
Ask for an old filter sponge and put it in your filter. Even get some of their ornaments or a large rock with good algae and bacteria growing on it. Then continue with the ammonia drops daily...

When switching the media, make sure it always stays in some tank water, because the good stuff dies off very quickly once it's pulled from the tank.

This should give you an instantly cycled tank

LinkBack