The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Oxygen level too high

This is a discussion on Oxygen level too high within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone, The feathers on my two axolotls gills have shrunk considerably in the past few months. After going through ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TattmanStache is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Oxygen level too high

Hello everyone,

The feathers on my two axolotls gills have shrunk considerably in the past few months. After going through a laundry list of possible causes for this, I've finally narrowed it down; there's too much air flow in the tank. All the water levels and conditions are fine, so it must be the only solution, correct?

I have a fluval 206 filter, in a 40 gallon long tank, with several live plants. I ordered some more tubing in order to place the output of the filter as low as possible in the tank. I've also placed the output behind several objects in the corner of the tank as to further disperse the water flow so it doesn't agitate things any further.

I've looked extensively for a spray bar online, but have had little luck

I know others here have experienced the same problem, but considering my conditions does anybody have any other suggestions to solve the issue? They are eating normally and seem playful/active as always...their gills just look small and weak due to the excess of oxygen.

I greatly appreciate your input! Thank you everyone.

TattmanStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Oxygen level too high

Have you got any photos? It can sometimes be a sign of bad water quality. If your parameters are fine, what's the temperature of the water? - Just a thought as mine had no gills when I got him as he was being kept in a tropical set up.

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aeration, filters, fluval, gills, high o2, oxygen, small gills, too much oxygen

LinkBack