The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Setting up my tank with substrate?

This is a discussion on Setting up my tank with substrate? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone. I have two Axolotls (Wanita and Lo). I have a 28 Gallon tank that they both share and ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jawdoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Setting up my tank with substrate?

Hi everyone.

I have two Axolotls (Wanita and Lo). I have a 28 Gallon tank that they both share and they move around comfortably. The tank that i am using now (28 Gallon, 107 Litres) has a bare bottom floor. I just purchased a 91 Gallon (418 Litres), both Wanita and Lo will share it. There is plenty of room for them to walk around (41cm W x124.4cm L).

I was just wondering if is hold put standard fish gravel into my tank. Will my Axies eat it? Is it a good idea?
Pros and cons?

Regards,
Jawdoss

Jawdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Setting up my tank with substrate?

Also, what could type of cleaning fish can i put in the tank? Can i put in little cleaning snails and things like that? Whats a good way to keep the tank clean as far as glass walls go?

Old 17th November 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

A big NO to gravel - every. Use play sand or very fine sand.

Gravel pros - NONE. Cons - impaction.

Sand pros - makes the tank look beautiful, easy to root plants into, my axolotl likes to dig in it :) cons - some sands can be sharp and leads to internal organ problems if ingested to avoid this you can hand feed or feed from a jar.

As for the fish, do not house any suckers with them, some people use snails but I never have. You can always get a magnet glass cleaner or a scraper thing. My partner uses one on his reef tank and it's like a razor blade on a long stick and cleans it good and fast

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleykahnita View Post
A big NO to gravel - every. Use play sand or very fine sand.

Gravel pros - NONE. Cons - impaction.

Sand pros - makes the tank look beautiful, easy to root plants into, my axolotl likes to dig in it :) cons - some sands can be sharp and leads to internal organ problems if ingested to avoid this you can hand feed or feed from a jar.

As for the fish, do not house any suckers with them, some people use snails but I never have. You can always get a magnet glass cleaner or a scraper thing. My partner uses one on his reef tank and it's like a razor blade on a long stick and cleans it good and fast
Ok, i used to have gravel, but i removed it due to people telling me about what it does. With sand, could i get it from a standard pet store (pet barn) and do i have to soak it or attach it to something so i doesn't make a mess?

Essentially, how did you set your tank up with sand?

Old 17th November 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ChristianV has shown reliable knowledge

You can get pool filter sand or play sand from A hardware store. You only need to rinse the sand out in a bucket with water until the water taint is clear. Then you can lay the sand Down in the tank. 24 hours later the water will not be cloudy anymore. I recommend to put only a inch of sand so anaerobic gas does not build up in tiny holes in the sand. If you are planning to use more than an inch, every water change move the sand around to prevent build up.

ChristianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

Yeah I got my sand from pet barn, I have used Pisces natural products quartz sand before and worked perfectly fine. I then switched to another sand, I forgot the name but it comes in 5 or 10 kg packs with a black label and I think a white/ red gold fish on it?

Wash it out throughly, I poured bit by bit in a small bucket, rinsed and rinsed and rinsed it. And then rinsed it.. And then put it in the other clean bucket and repeat. I scooped it out of the bucket with a cup and placed it gently on the floor, you can just plonk it in but it makes the water extremely cloudy at first, the cup kind of keeps it at the bottom. After a day the fine sand particles will settle and just siphon it out. Happy days!

You can also used play sand from bunnings or mitre 10 but requires more washing and rinsing and only comes in one colour. You can also silicon the sand down but I don't .. It's easier to rearrange things, I make little dips and hills for my axolotl to play in and can always reroot plants elsewhere when they get dug up.

Old 17th November 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Cool. i will try and get some from pet barn, and i will rinse it out. Ill just 'plonk' it in the tank before i add water to the new one. So the water won't get as cloudy :). I am going to let the water settle down and I'm going to run a water test before putting my Axies in it!! :)
I just need to find a filter
Don't have much money so i have to either wait a while or ask around.
This is the tank that i bought
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mudge...and/1032097955

Old 17th November 2013   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Bargain!!

It's pretty much the same as plonking in water and plonking sand in then adding water. When you pour the water in it'll disturb the sand anyways, but if you aren't going to put your babies in, either way is fine!

If you're strapped for cash there are many hang on back filter than will work, my one has worked fine for my 3 ft tank and cost be $60.00.

Canisters are probably better but are like double the price.

Old 17th November 2013   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleykahnita View Post
Bargain!!

It's pretty much the same as plonking in water and plonking sand in then adding water. When you pour the water in it'll disturb the sand anyways, but if you aren't going to put your babies in, either way is fine!

If you're strapped for cash there are many hang on back filter than will work, my one has worked fine for my 3 ft tank and cost be $60.00.

Canisters are probably better but are like double the price.
I have a 200L/h hang on filter, that is in my other tank. But if i take that out and put it in this one, it will probably not be big enough, and will leave my other tank with no filter.

In theory i could make a PVC canister filter and just hook up my 400L/H pump to it. Couldn't i?

Old 18th November 2013   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawdoss View Post
I have a 200L/h hang on filter, that is in my other tank. But if i take that out and put it in this one, it will probably not be big enough, and will leave my other tank with no filter.

In theory i could make a PVC canister filter and just hook up my 400L/H pump to it. Couldn't i?
I wouldn't have a clue how to make a filter but I'm sure there's plenty of YouTube videos on how to make one

Tags
4ft, axolotl, eating, gravel, rocks, substrate, tank

LinkBack