The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Water Quality

This is a discussion on Water Quality within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey guys, I have been seearching for some ranges of water quality compounds such as pH, Nirtite, Nitrate, Carbonate and ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By auntiejude
  • 1 Post By Req

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2014   #1 (permalink)
Req

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Req is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Water Quality

Hey guys,
I have been seearching for some ranges of water quality compounds such as pH, Nirtite, Nitrate, Carbonate and water hardness. I have found a few websites with people rambling on, but let's face it I would love to have a list... Can anyone give me a quick answer?

Nitrate: ______________
Nitrite: _______________
pH: __________________
kH (Carbonate): ________
Water Hardness:________

Req is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Water Quality

Here is a link to a good list, scroll down and look to the right side, you will see it.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Hope this helps. -Seth

Edit: It does not have KH or water hardness though.

Old 3rd January 2014   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

In a cycled tank:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <40
pH neutral (7-8)
water hardness/KH, no specific values given

If nitrates get above 40 you need a water change, if youre reading ammonia and nitrite your cycle isn't working - either not completed yet or crashed.

Old 3rd January 2014   #4 (permalink)
Req

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
In a cycled tank:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <40
pH neutral (7-8)
water hardness/KH, no specific values given

If nitrates get above 40 you need a water change, if youre reading ammonia and nitrite your cycle isn't working - either not completed yet or crashed.
Thanks for the numbers. I was curious about water hardness/kH because I live in a hard water area. I read somewhere that axolotls prefer hard water, I just want to make sure the water hardness is not over the top. The guy in the link below talks mostly about adding to soft water, but gives no definite number for the results. Researching more. If I find anything I will post it.

Meanwhile here is the website I found the read about water hardness: Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Old 3rd January 2014   #5 (permalink)
Req

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde View Post
Here is a link to a good list, scroll down and look to the right side, you will see it.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Hope this helps. -Seth

Edit: It does not have KH or water hardness though.

Great website! I love black and white information!

Old 3rd January 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axowattyl has given good advice and informationaxowattyl has given good advice and information

Regarding hardness.

Our local town water supply is extremely soft.

I've been using a salt solution from the LFS that's used to harden water for goldfish (sorry I'm away from home at the moment, details later) to take the TDS (total dissolved solids) reading on my meter up to around 250-300 ppm.

Combined with my chiller being set at 19degC (I'm in an Oz heatwave at the moment) I'm sure that my axies are very happy in this water, as they look fantastic, are very active and eat themselves stupid.

When I get home I'll post the name of the stuff.

It's like a yellow salt in a plastic jar and didn't cost much.

axowattyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrate, nitrite, water, water hardness, water quality

LinkBack