The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Filters and Axolotls

This is a discussion on Filters and Axolotls within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Originally Posted by mackinthebox for everyone saying that you dont need a filter please, post up pics of your tank ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2014   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Filters and Axolotls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinthebox View Post
for everyone saying that you dont need a filter please, post up pics of your tank without a filter, then post your water parameters over the course of a week or so and lets see just how well your filterless system works against one with a filter...
otherwise no one has provided any direct evidence supporting this assertion
Nope.... Can't be bothered to prove anything ....... I have about twenty unfiltered tanks set up at the moment and the water quality is good. If you actually take the time to peruse other newt/sal species in this forum you will see hundreds of examples of unfiltered tanks.

Old 22nd March 2014   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mackinthebox has shown reliable knowledge

i doubt any of them are truly unfiltered
in order for your water to be free of ammonia you are going to need a) media b) water movement
If you have neither of these you will have an ammonia build up
If you have either of these you are using a filter, it doesnt matter if its not a power filter, if its plants in sand with a powerhead or something else to provide flow, that is still a man made filter

mackinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014   #23 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
i doubt any of them are truly unfiltered
Filter is defined as a mechanical device - no mechanical device = unfiltered.
Quote:
in order for your water to be free of ammonia you are going to need a) media b) water movement
a) 'media' can be substrate, ornaments, even tank walls, bacteria only need a surface to adhere to
b) Movement within water happens without mechanical help - thermal currents, axies moving water as they move.
Quote:
If you have neither of these you will have an ammonia build up
Since the above is untrue, so is this
Quote:
If you have either of these you are using a filter, it doesnt matter if its not a power filter, if its plants in sand with a powerhead or something else to provide flow, that is still a man made filter
The discussion is about having a powered aquarium filter, the whole purpose of the discussion to look at natural or filterless methods of maintaining water quality, so I really don't know why you are arguing.
And since thousands of axies are kept in an environment without a mechanical filtration system it obviously works.

Old 22nd March 2014   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Athel has started on the right path

I tried without a filter for a while but decided to put one in as I wasn't happy with the water. I'm a novice though so someone with more experience may well be able to keep the water better.

Athel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FormerFIP has started on the right path

Quote:
I would agree with this but only if youre using an undergravel filter, if you are not forcing water through the sand then you are only using a small fraction of the surface area...
Not entirely true. I use a filter in my axolotl tank, but your reasoning here is flawed. Having studied water and soils in college, I can tell you that, even though it may not seem possible, water is "actively" moving throughout the substrate layer even when there is no filter present. Just by the nature of water, it is constantly circulating throughout any container it is in, however slowly. Sand, unless it has been extremely compacted, has a good amount of empty space between particles. This empty space is what allows water to pass throughout the entire substrate layer. Though it may take quite a long time, all of the sand in an aquarium substrate will be utilized in the filtration process. This is not to say, however, that an undergravel filter would not aid in and speed up this process.

This is a very interesting thread, I hope it keeps going.

FormerFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: kjnorman is an unknown quantity at this point

Axolotl Canada indicates you can keep an axolotl without a filter. I imagine it is the same as a goldfish tank this way - you can keep it without a filter, but adding a filter with DRAMATICALLY decrease the amount of time you have to spend on tank maintenance and the frequency of water changes.

The Sick Axolotl page explains how to 'fridge' and an axolotl and this is an excellent example of not having a filter - but you need to do daily water changes. In a larger tank you might only have to do 50% water changes weekly to keep the axolotl happy, but a filter still makes it waaaay easier.

Having had years of experience with aquaria of various sorts, I can attest to both the temptation to not get a filter in order to save on upfront cost as well as ongoing costs of replacing filter media, and how quickly it gets old doing water changes all the time.

If I had a very large, heavily planted, naturalistic tank with only a few axolotls (relative to size) in it, I might try going filterless because my husband finds the noise irritating, but only then.

kjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: kjnorman is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I imagine you would get water movement through a) the movement of your axolotl and potentially any live feeders, and b) thermal currents if any part of your tank is near a heat source such as a sunbeam, heating vent, other appliance that radiates, heat, etc., or in a stream of cool air such as a draft or air conditioner.

It might not be much compared to a current driven by a pump, but it would be plenty from a bacterial point of view.

Anaerobic bacteria on lake bottoms produce oxygen as a by-product of metabolism, resulting in a thin layer of highly oxygenated water right above the substrate - I imagine something similar would happen in an unfiltered tank given enough time.

Microbiology is fun.

kjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014   #28 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information

A goldfish tank? I'd never go filterless with goldfish, they're incredibly messy animals that have a high bioload and require double filtration for their tank size.

Tags
axolotls, canister, filters, hob, sponge

LinkBack