The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tank size for three axolotls

This is a discussion on Tank size for three axolotls within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I was wondering what would be an ideal tank size for three axolotls. Also if any live plants could be ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: natrix has started on the right path
Default Tank size for three axolotls

I was wondering what would be an ideal tank size for three axolotls. Also if any live plants could be used and if floating or planted would be best. I like the idea of floating plants. I have a nice piece of driftwood that I have used for fish but it makes the water look like iced tea. Is this harmful and can it be removed?

Thanks
Mike

natrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Tank size for three axolotls

I like a 40 gallon breeder for 3. They do well with both planted and floating plants. Just pick cold hardy species. Lots of people like floating plants because they provide nice shade for the animals.
Tannins in your wood turn it brownish- it is not harmful. You can add a product to your filter called purigen to remove tannins. It is tiny resin beads that bind to the tannins. If you buy it loose, you'll also want to purchase a mesh bag to put it in.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Floor space is as important as water volume - you need to choose a tank that is long instead of deep.

But 40gal or 100L is about right for 3 axies assuming it is about 12-15" deep.

Old 8th September 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information

A good tip is to have 1 foot of floor space per axie then a little more for filter, ideally you would want a 4 foot long tank and at least 1 foot deep

Plants that are okay in an axie tank, types of anubias, types of java, marimo moss balls, crypts, water lettuce, mini water lettuce, hornwort, and moss

Flake plants are good for hiding ect but real plants have more use in terms of 'helping' with water quality ect

I also have a pothos plants roots resting on a shower caddy in my tanks (the leaves coming out the top), its loves nitrates and is growing well so far (ive had it in there over a year) dont put the stems or leaves in that water though as its a house plant.

Also with the wood, although it makes the water a bit brown for a while the tannins do eventually stop, i think my water cleared up after around 3-4 weeks with my weekly water changes (my tank is fully cycled)

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, plants, tank size

LinkBack