The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Question to gfp breeders

This is a discussion on Question to gfp breeders within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Can any breeders that have bred GFP axolotls tell me what their offsprings expressed? Did two GFP parents produce 100% ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Margie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2014   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information
Default Question to gfp breeders

Can any breeders that have bred GFP axolotls tell me what their offsprings expressed? Did two GFP parents produce 100% GFP or less? I've been finding mixed results on this because GFP doesn't act like the normal set of genes. Just want to get an idea because I may try breeding my GFP male with my GFP female.

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Question to gfp breeders

From what I've read GFP genetics is fairly simple as it's a yes-or-no gene. It can be passed on from either parent, you don't need a pair of genes like you do with albinos.

So if one parent was GFP about half the offspring would be too, if both parents are GFP about 75% will be GFP.

Old 1st December 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

Would there be any cases of axolotls with the gfp gene inherited from both parents?

Old 1st December 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yes, but it makes no difference - it's a yes-or-no gene. Doesn't matter whether it gets a yes from one parent or both!

Old 1st December 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I was just wondering if there was any codominance or enhanced expression by having two gfp genes vs one. Not that I plan to breed super bright axolotls just trying to understand their genetics a little better.

Old 1st December 2014   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

I don't think so. The gene is a recipe for the GFP protein, it tells the axie how to make the protein not how much to make!

Old 2nd December 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cole Grover has given good advice and informationCole Grover has given good advice and informationCole Grover has given good advice and information

GFP works as a dominant gene. A particular animal expressing the GFP trait may be either heterozygous or homozygous. 50% of the offspring from a heterozygous individual will express the trait, while all of the offspring from a homozygous individual will. It's pretty easy to grasp once you know that much.

Old 2nd December 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Grover View Post
GFP works as a dominant gene. A particular animal expressing the GFP trait may be either heterozygous or homozygous. 50% of the offspring from a heterozygous individual will express the trait, while all of the offspring from a homozygous individual will. It's pretty easy to grasp once you know that much.

Ah I think my original intent might have been lost. I meant more along the lines does the gfp gene act like simple dominant/recessive inheritance or does it have varying levels of expression between homozygous vs heterozygous individuals. I believe now it's just simple on/off, have it or don't. Thank you everyone for the replies!

Old 2nd December 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Margie has shown reliable knowledge

There is a school of thought that suggests the gfp is expressed more strongly in individuals with two copies of the gene rather than one.

I lean toward believing that may be true, based on the gfp spawns I've raised so far. I can't prove it, obviously, but something's making a large percentage of my gfp juveniles (from two gfp parents) glow more strongly than the others in the same spawn.

Margie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfp

LinkBack