The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Emergency?? First Axolotl eggs! Tiny white worms on developing eggs!

This is a discussion on Emergency?? First Axolotl eggs! Tiny white worms on developing eggs! within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I was surprised to find about 50 or so eggs in my tank about 4 days ago and moved them ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LSuzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ashlimarie83 has started on the right path
Unhappy Emergency?? First Axolotl eggs! Tiny white worms on developing eggs!

I was surprised to find about 50 or so eggs in my tank about 4 days ago and moved them into a large Tupperware container with a plant and bubbler (at around 65-68 F), and the most of them seem to developing nicely into little beans.

HOWEVER, I was serperating the little beans from the undeveloped eggs (because Momma laid MOAR eggs), and I noticed some of the eggs have little white worms (assumedly planeria, but they just look like moving strings to me) on them! I know that the worms do no harm to HATCHED babies, but mine are still developing!! What do I do?!

Can't get any reliable pics of the worms really.

Old 5th March 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: CatSpit has given good advice and informationCatSpit has given good advice and information
Default Re: Emergency?? First Axolotl eggs! Tiny white worms on developing eggs!

Sounds similar to this previous thread - hope it helps...

White worms forming in Baby axolotl set up. Parasites? Please help!!

CatSpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Emergency?? First Axolotl eggs! Tiny white worms on developing eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSpit View Post
Sounds similar to this previous thread - hope it helps...

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...ease-help.html

It does not unfortunately. My babies are still developing. Her's were hatched so it was not much of an issue since the could eat the worms. Mine are technically defenseless. I am just worried about what one of the posters said about the worms eating unhatched eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersgirl View Post
Here's the culprit: Aquarium FD - Planaria Small Hair like White Worms - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment, you might also like this thread dealing with the same issue: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...otls-tank.html

They're called Planaria. They thrive off of uneaten food. They won't do your hatched babies any harm, but they will eat unhatched eggs so it's probably best to follow Morrison's advice and clean the tubs thoroughly every day, hoovering up all uneaten food and poop. It doesn't mean you're not clean, it just means there's enough food left in the tubs for these guys to become apparent.

I hope this helps!

Old 6th March 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

Well, most "treatments" pose a risk to the eggs, so unless someone knows something that kills planaria (or whatever they are - there are other things like that too) but doesn't kill anything else, it is best to be conservative. I suggest: 1) Don't worry. Axie eggs are very tough. 2) Daily 100% water changes with clean dechlorinated water of the same temperature the eggs are in. Maybe this will wash away the worms. And it won't hurt the eggs. (Don't overdose the dechlorinator.)

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
Well, most "treatments" pose a risk to the eggs, so unless someone knows something that kills planaria (or whatever they are - there are other things like that too) but doesn't kill anything else, it is best to be conservative. I suggest: 1) Don't worry. Axie eggs are very tough. 2) Daily 100% water changes with clean dechlorinated water of the same temperature the eggs are in. Maybe this will wash away the worms. And it won't hurt the eggs. (Don't overdose the dechlorinator.)
Alright... I had been worried I was being kind of rough on them when I was changing the water since I had to pour them into the container, but I hope they'll just be okay then. :/

Some are developing really fast, but the new eggs my Axolotl just laid don't have nearly as much jelly? as her first bunch.

Old 6th March 2015   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

All my adults are male (random chance, not choice), so my egg experience is from eggs I've bought from other people. So, I can't speak to jelly variations from a given axolotl, but I can speak to egg toughness. They are tough. Very tough. Water changes won't hurt them.

Old 6th March 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
All my adults are male (random chance, not choice), so my egg experience is from eggs I've bought from other people. So, I can't speak to jelly variations from a given axolotl, but I can speak to egg toughness. They are tough. Very tough. Water changes won't hurt them.
Good to hear. Well, then I guess I just post if I have any updates and hope all goes well.

Though I really hope she stops laying. It was really unexpected (I just got the male in January and he's still pretty young, so I had stupidly thought he wouldn't be mating for a while :P ) and of course they would start spawning when my midterms are approaching.

Old 6th March 2015   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Time to put a divider in the tank. Excessive spawning is physically bad for the female. Some axolotl pairs will keep spawning every few weeks year round if you let them.

Old 6th March 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh please no.

Are dividers mesh so the water still gets filtered? I hope I can find some for my tank size, haven't seen any yet.

Old 6th March 2015   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes, there are mesh dividers. You should be able to find some on-line. Or, for fish tank dividers, people used egg crate diffuser cut to size. (I'm not sure it it is safe for axies or not. Make sure there are no sharp edges if you want to try that - axies don't have scales.)

Old 6th March 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yup. I've got that down, this going to call for quite a bit on rearranging though. I may have to toss my large driftwood.

Tags
axolotl, developing, eggs, help and advice needed, worms

LinkBack