The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Raising Axolotl Larvae

This is a discussion on Raising Axolotl Larvae within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi Guys! My Wild Type female and Leucistic male Axolotls have been up to no good this Fall... these baby ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hanbobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Hanbobs is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Raising Axolotl Larvae

Hi Guys!

My Wild Type female and Leucistic male Axolotls have been up to no good this Fall... these baby making machines have been busy producing enough Axolotls to populate the Moon! (well they are aliens after all).

She laid her eggs a total of 4 times in the space of 6 weeks, and as a consequence I've had to purchase a mesh divider for the time being to separate the love bugs.

This is her second year of giving me the fun task of raising her offspring... in 2014 she successfully laid a whopping 600 eggs - and it was my first time raising larva - she threw me in at the deep end for sure!

I now have 3 different batches of hatched larvae - all hatched within 1 week of one another due to the first batch taking a good 4 weeks to hatch because their water conditions were a lot cooler. These little guys are between 7 - 14 days old now.
I have approx 100 of these cutie pies happily swimming around in a large plastic container with all the Daphnia they can eat and plenty of live plants for shelter.

The 4th and final batch of eggs were laid 1 week ago and are in a separate container, the eggs appear to be developing well and have reached that 'maggot' looking stage.

I'm here to share my photos, stories and anything I can on raising these little buddies. Feel free to share your own!

Below are the Photos of my female, Diego, and male, Hey Bert (Bert for short!).

I'll take some photos of the beautiful babies I have and post them up this evening.

Raising Axolotl Larvae-_80-1.jpg Raising Axolotl Larvae-_80.jpg

Hanbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Raising Axolotl Larvae

I managed to get some photos this evening of the Larvae. I removed 2 from the group of 100 so you can see how they differ in colours. The last time Diego laid her eggs they were all Melanoids. This time I'm pretty sure I have some mini Berts in there. You'll see by the photo that one looks like it may be a leucistic.

These 2 guys are approx 2 weeks old...

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9439.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9440.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9441.jpg

Old 12th November 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Raising Axolotl Larvae

Twins - I noticed I have two embryos within the same egg and they both appear to be developing well, like a large majority of the other unhatched eggs I have!

There's also a selection of other photos of the Axi's taken today 12/11/15

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9457.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9459.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9460.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9465.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9480.jpg

Raising Axolotl Larvae-img_9476.jpg

Old 22nd November 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SteGriffWales has started on the right path
Default Re: Raising Axolotl Larvae

love the twins pic

SteGriffWales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, axolotl babies, axolotl breeding, axolotl eggs, axolotl larvae, axolotls, axolotls breeding larvae, axolotls for sale, leucistic axolotl, wild type axolotl

LinkBack