The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Prevention of Breeding?

This is a discussion on Prevention of Breeding? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello all. So i have a sub-adult axie who I'm pretty sure is female at this point. I'd like to ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By auntiejude
  • 1 Post By Elise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Severance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prevention of Breeding?

Hello all. So i have a sub-adult axie who I'm pretty sure is female at this point. I'd like to get her a tank mate once I'm positive of her gender, but I'm trying to avoid eggs.

I know the best way to do this would to be to get another of the same gender (obviously), but when getting an axie shipped you never really know what'll happen.

So I'm curious for all of you who keep multiple axies, what do you do if you accidentally get eggs?

Severance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Prevention of Breeding?

There are really only 3 options - sell them raise them or destroy them.
Selling them is not difficult unless you're experiencing extreme weather, and posting them is easy.
If you choose to raise them you'll be dealing with daily water changes, BBS hatcheries, and then the problem of what to do with the babies. I would normally recommend that someone keeps about 20 eggs and disposes of the rest.
You can cull the eggs by freezing them - it needs to be done in the first 4 or 5 days.

You can also allow the eggs to hatch and feed them to bigger axies, but a lot of hobbyists don't have the stomach for that.

At the end of the day preventing eggs is better than dealing with unwanted eggs, so sexes should be kept separate.

Old 10th February 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

I read that Axolotls eating other Axolotls can cause deformed/odd growth, is this right ?

Old 10th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Severance is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
There are really only 3 options - sell them raise them or destroy them.
Selling them is not difficult unless you're experiencing extreme weather, and posting them is easy.
If you choose to raise them you'll be dealing with daily water changes, BBS hatcheries, and then the problem of what to do with the babies. I would normally recommend that someone keeps about 20 eggs and disposes of the rest.
You can cull the eggs by freezing them - it needs to be done in the first 4 or 5 days.

You can also allow the eggs to hatch and feed them to bigger axies, but a lot of hobbyists don't have the stomach for that.

At the end of the day preventing eggs is better than dealing with unwanted eggs, so sexes should be kept separate.
Thank you very much for the info.

Severance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxolotlChris View Post
I read that Axolotls eating other Axolotls can cause deformed/odd growth, is this right ?

It's been discussed that each batch of eggs will have a subset group being much smaller in size due to a lesser growth rate. This can be advantageous for the larger more robust growing axolotls in times of food scarcity where they can predate on their smaller siblings for survival. However, to address your question, I don't believe cannibalism alone would cause any growth abnormalities, unless there were other factors around malnutrition.

Tags
axololt, breeding, eggs, multiple

LinkBack